Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Brunosbud--Matrix Metaphor
Michael Dansinger, MD posted:
In a recent thread (see Glucerna), Brunosbud referred to a metaphor used in the movie "The Matrix". A quote from the character "Cypher":

…I know this steak doesn't exist. I know that when I put it in my mouth, the Matrix is telling my brain that it is juicy and delicious. After nine years, you know what I realize? Ignorance is bliss. (Scene from The Matrix, 1999).

I love this metaphor and immediately recognized the reference, but I'd be interested to hear some commentary on what is happening in that scene where Cypher is eating steak in "the matrix" while his counterparts are eating healthy tasteless goop in the "real world".

betatoo responded:
Metaphor, all smoke. Think about one eating the steak, mentally, others eating the healthy tasteless goop, both are eating highly processed sustenance. The first thing that we as T2's are warned away from. Future cheapness would depend highly on carbohydrates in concentrated starchy forms. So what if everything is controlled by meds ingested with the sustenance.

brunosbud responded:
Thanks, Michael, for sharing your comments. For those unfamiliar with the scene Dr. Dansinger is referring to, enjoy ("Agent Smith and Cypher")...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7BuQFUhsRM

The deeper any "Matrix" is, the more brutal and violent the backlash against those that question it's reality...

The Matrix of Apartheid in South Africa & Madiba (Nelson Mandela), freedom fighter. Arab Spring and the Tunisian street peddler, Mohamed Bouazizi, who doused himself with gasoline and lit a match in protest against an oppressive regime.

A "food" Matrix, you ask? Remember Maria Kang, "Fit Mom"? Her Facebook page asks, "What's your excuse?" advocating healthy diet and daily exercise for families...

She's attacked and accused of being a "bully"..."It's unfair for women, today, to be pressured to conform to an "unrealistic" image for the mass majority"...Facebook shut her page down for an weekend due to alleged "Fat-Shaming Rants" and later apologized to Ms. Kang for a "misunderstanding"...

Has anyone heard from Ms. Kang, lately?

Of course not! That's how a Matrix works, silly!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.