Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Keeping my Blood Sugar under control.
balmayne1 posted:
I was always able, when I used self-control, to keep my BG under control.

Recently, 4 months ago, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. For some reason, my BG went out of control. The more severe the tremors, the higher my BG. That does not make sense to me. I am staying on the same diet as I was before.

I have been cutting back on my food to lower my BG. This morning it went down to 140. It was up to 300.

Any tips well be welcome. Glad to be here.

glucerna responded:
Have you talked with your doctor about your BG levels after the diagnosis of Parkinson's? It's good that you're paying attention to what you're eating, but there could be other things ggoing on, especially if you're taking any new medications. ~Lynn @Glucerna

brunosbud replied to glucerna's response:
My biggest complaint with this board is there's just not enough discussion about "other things" that affect diabetes besides food...

The retirement community where my mother resides has about 3000 residents. I'd estimate at least 60-70% drink alcohol. Of that, maybe 1 out of 3 get bombed out of their minds at least a few times each week. Speaking to many of the care givers in the neighborhood, the incidence of Alzheimer's in this community is astonishingly high. And, now, recent studies have indicated that Alzheimer's is a form (or closely tied) of diabetes.

Between being overweight, dehydration, routine use of statins, BP meds, pain killers, steroids, sleeping pills and constipation meds, then, finally the kicker, regular consumption of alcohol, how can anyone maintain control of blood sugar with any reasonable consistency?

No two people have the same lifestyle. But, it's perfectly clear to me why two people can eat similar diets but one can exhibit good BG control while the other's in deep do-do, all the time.

Now, that's been said...Let's get back to talking about food, everybody!!!!!

balmayne1 replied to glucerna's response:
Hi glucerna,

It was my doctor who noticed my sharp rise in my BG levels. Every time I see him, I get tested for my BG. It has always been normal.

I have gone back to my strict diet and my BG levels are going down.

He has added another medication for my PD. That has probably helped raise it. I see my doctor again next week and I will ask him.

Hi brunosbud, I am glad to meet you.Medications can affect our BG levels.

Would you please give me the link to the study about Alzheimer's and diabetes? You are correct, no two people live the same lifestyle. Our type of lifestyle makes a huge difference when our BG levels are concerned. It is more than food.

Ruth

glucerna replied to balmayne1's response:
I'm glad you're working closely with your doctor Ruth, and that you're seeing improvement in BG levels as you change your food choices. Brunosbud, you bring up a really important point: there are many aspects to diabetes management. Besides food, what else do you find is important to you? ~Lynn @Glucerna

brunosbud replied to balmayne1's response:
Welcome Ruth and happy holidays. A leading researcher in this field is Dr. Suzanne DelaMonte
https://research.brown.edu/myresearch/Suzanne_delaMonte

Here's a couple articles that may be of interest...
http://www.nationalreviewofmedicine.com/issue/2005/12_15/2_advances_medicine01_21.html
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/alzheimers-diabetes-brain

brunosbud replied to glucerna's response:
Merry-Xmas, Lynn, and thanks for your comments. The things that are important to me?

In general, I think people who lead the most happy and satisfying lives recognize the limitations of aging and adjust their lives, accordingly. They best understand that as their body ages, they must, incrementally, slow down, too.

Unhealthy people are not lazy or stupid. That may not eat crap all the time, either. And, they could be exercising as much as the next guy or gal. But, I believe the root problem with most unhealthy people is they simply exhaust themselves trying to do everything for everyone...to their eventual demise. Successful, happy people are able to sift through all the "traps" of modern society and pick a few things to occupy their time but remain ever vigilant and self aware of their health. They'll able to simplify their lives and leave all the BS (not "blood sugar") for the other "lemmings" to chase.

People visit these boards for answers on how to lose weight, lower blood pressure, control blood sugar, even, cure cancer. But, no one asks questions on how to manage time...How to make "space" for the betterment of their health. imho, it doesn't matter what you eat; good health is a pipe dream if you can't slow down.

PS: One other thing regarding alcohol use and why I think it's equally toxic, if not worse, than cigarettes...

One of the interesting things I learned, recently, is that brain cells produce insulin identical to that produced by the pancreas and this insulin is vital for proper neural activity.

In Alzheimer's, it's been confirmed that areas of the brain that involve short term memory become "insulin resistant".

I'm a recovering alcoholic so I have some good, first-hand expertise in this area. lol Being drunk, I would imagine, is very similar to having Alzheimer's. Here's a research paper on relationship between alcohol consumption and insulin resistance...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19638738

balmayne1 replied to brunosbud's response:
Hi brunosbud,

You make an excellent point about managing time for ourselves. You are right, we need to.

I have read before about Alzheimer's being Diabetes 111. However, they have not done enough research to prove it, yet.

I have gotten my BG under control now.

I will look up any research you give me.

brunosbud replied to balmayne1's response:
Thanks for your comments. imo, I don't really see the need to call "symptoms" of diabetes as type 3, type 4, type 5...
Diabetes impairs the activity of neurons just like muscle cells. Should we call peripheral neuropathy Type 4? Should we call diabetic retinopathy Type 5? Should we call gastroparesis type 6? Could Alzheimer's be associated with the destructive effects of insulin resistance on the nervous system?

If it was, it'd be no great stretch...

glucerna replied to brunosbud's response:
You bring up some excellent information Brunosbud and I agree with you that time management and setting priorities that include our own self-care are crucial for overall good health. Making these changes is often more difficult than changing food or exercise habits, yet they bring big benefits. I love your adivce to slow down! ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.