Skip to content
Diabetes Miracle book
An_254768 posted:
I'm reading the 'Diabetes Miracle' book by Diane Kress. She reports that our liver 'self feeds' the equivalent of approximately 45-65 grams of carbohydrate every five hours automatically. Further, to prevent this from happening, she reports that we must stave off this liver 'self feeding' by eating 11-20 grams of carbohydrates before that five hour mark. In fact, she encourages the T2 person to eat in the middle of the night to stave off this 'self feeding'. I have been taught to eat three small meals and two snacks per day, always counting carbs. However, the reason has been so that I would be controlling the carb intake, not overdoing it and not underdoing it which would result in ravenous hunger. The book I've mentioned tells a very different story as to WHY I must eat that way. I am confused. Any thoughts out there?

betatoo responded:
Check your history of diabetes. Before the advent of insulin, the control of diabetes was with . . . low carb diets. Diabetics were underweight back then and weaker. Again too though you had to work harder for a meal back then. Certain foods were cheap, others much more expensive. Starches were the mainstay. Diabetics went hungry.
Now when insulin came into use nearly every one was prescribed it, but then you had problems with highs and lows and other things-adverse reactions etc. So we added in oral meds. Even with those we have side effects. Nowadays, the low starch diet makes sense as you can replace loss of carb in diet with healthy fats, and other foods. Nuts are a great snack in limited portions and will help balance you weight if too low.

As to the 5 hr trick-don't know, but I do know that a good nights sleep is very important to my good health. I also know that dawn syndrome lessens as you get further into a very healthy low starch high veggie diet. So I go that route.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.