Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
High glucose for two months
deb5204 posted:
Hi I am new to this forum and I have questions that can't be answered by doing a google search. First you must know I am type2 very healthy (5'9" tall and less than 140 lbs.) i exercise quite a bit, eat hardly any carbs and still have had blood sugars in the 250 -390 range for the last two months. I do eat some carbs but they only make my sugars go higher. I have tried janeuvia, glyburide and now have been on Oseni for 12 days. Nothing seems to work. Oh yeah I just turned 50 in July. Any suggestions?

mrscora01 responded:
Deb, have you been tested for type 1? Apparently there are 2 average ages for type 1 onset - 12 and 45. So that's why they don't call it "juvenile" diabetes any more. If you do have type 1, it can take several years before you need insulin, but once you reach that point, none of those other drugs will do much for you. I would talk to the doc about being tested. And no matter what type you are, insulin is not necessarily a bad thing.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

deb5204 replied to mrscora01's response:
Thanks for the reply. You are the second person to tell me this. What is different for the test for type 1 verses type 2? I asked my internal medicine doctor if I could be type 1 and he told me no. Then sent me to the endocrinologist. Thanks again Deb

mrscora01 replied to deb5204's response:
Talk to the endo. There are several antibody tests (ICA and GAD) that can be done. They are not 100% definitive as you can indeed be a type 1 and not show the antibodies and some type 2s will show some antibody activation. But that said, from the sound of it, you may need insulin. No matter what type of diabetes you have. The bottom line is that you need better numbers in order to feel well and maintain your health.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

eklogue responded:
Hi Deb I am type2,been controlled for 16 yrs. I am 67 so I got diagnosed about the same age as you. Currently I am taking Tradjenta once a day and Levimer injections 2x a day. I suggest you keep blood levels three or four times daily, work directly with only your endo doctor until you can get your sugars down under 150 or ideally around low 100 s. I have seen the damage that over 350 or 400 can do. Type 1 or 2 you must get the sugar controlled.

auriga1 replied to deb5204's response:
Deb, I was diagnosed as Type 2 while hospitalized for something else. The doctors immediately started me on insulin. My fasting glucose every morning in the hospital was 250 and above before they started me on the insulin.

I was never tested for Type 1 diabetes. My endo does believe my pancreas is making little to no insulin. I am also 5'9" and was 123 pounds at the time of diagnosis. Very thin for my frame and height. Why in the world would I develop diabetes is a question I ask over and over. Well, my mom had it and also used insulin. She, too, was diagnosed as a type 2 because of her age bracket.

Have a detailed talk with your endo. According to statistical reports, there are about 10% of type 2 diabetics who happen to be on the lean side, yet their blood glucose levels remain high.

I am very lucky to have a diabetic team, consisting of my endo, certified diabetes educator (who happens to be a Type 1 using a pump) and a registered dietician. They immediately started me on intensive insulin therapy because my A1C was 13.2.

I use two insulins and have never felt better. Using insulin also requires one to count carbs and exercise. All three go hand in hand in keeping glucose levels within normal range. Using the two insulins along with counting carbs and keeping active has brought my A1C down to 5.6. The less carbs I eat, the less insulin I need to use. Same thing goes for physical activity. The more active I am, the less insulin I use. It works for me.

Every doctor is different in how they prescribe medications and/or insulin. What works for one may not work for another.

You do need to bring your numbers down so no harm is done to your body. Talk to your doctor and ask about insulin. Insulin is a natural hormone made by the human pancreas. There are all types made these days.

There is a type of diabetes called LADA, latent autoimmune diabetes. It's a slow onset of type 1, generally developed when one is 30-45 years old, as Mrs. Cora stated. It's not discussed to0 often and has been given the number of 1.5.

My numbers started going high when I was in my late 30's. They have never come down. At that time, I was able to bring my numbers down by cutting carbs. I didn't think much of it and never followed up. Just kept trying to eat right and exercising. Never tested because no diagnosis was handed down. My numbers averaged about 125 back then.

Before insulin use, any time I ate carbs, my blood glucose would skyrocket to 500 or higher. My body is highly intolerant of carbs.

Come back and let us know how you are doing. Hopefully, your endo can help you out.

bellejo123 responded:
A couple of years ago, I was on blood pressure medication Lotrel. The mail order pharmacy began to send a new generic made up of amlodipine and benazapril. I took the new pill. My blood sugar went up over 200, and I didn't know why. After a couple of months, I realized that the change in my blood sugar coincided with the change in the medication. I did some research and learned that both of the medications in the generic caused a rise in blood sugar. I asked my doctor to put me back on the brand name and my blood sugar was again manageable.

brunosbud replied to auriga1's response:
After a while, I eventually came to the conclusion that I'd been "duped" into focusing on all the wrong problems. In my effort to please everyone, I was trying to be healthy while juggling 10 balls at the same time. I finally realized if I juggle less, I'd enjoy life, more. If you can't limit priorities, self-improvement is fleeting. Once the focus became "simplification", my health issues slowly began to resolve themselves like dominoes.

In terms of weight loss, you don't put the cart before the wheel. In other words, you don't obsess on shedding the fat, then, learn to eat, safely. You learn to eat safely then let the fat chips fall where they may. Obviously, this applies to blood sugar, too...And, blood pressure...And, cholesterol...And, hormonal deficiencies...etc., etc.....

Our body is way smarter than any of us will ever be. It will seek an equilibrium state no matter what kind of whack, destructive lifestyle we choose. In other words, if you want to "force" weight loss or artificially control blood sugar, you're more than welcome. The minute you remove the "crutches", though, you fall flat on your face. Anyone can use the word, "healthy" but their body will always reflect the truth.

People who lose weight by having the horse pull their cart, ie. adopting sound lifestyle fundamentals, are never in "danger" of regaining the weight, again. It's a physiological impossibility...

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
"....In terms of weight loss, you don't put the cart before the wheel..."
Correction: that's "cart before the horse".

To simplify what I was trying to convey, above...

Anyone can manipulate or artificially alter blood sugar or weight. I was "duped" into thinking that was the goal. But, BG or blood pressure or lbs are simply "readings"... a barometer of the equilibrium state our bodies are in.

The true goal of medicine...the real cheese cake...is you have to fundamentally shift the equilibrium. That can never be accomplished, long term, by tricks (ie. low carb, pills), treatments or surgeries. It's the body that needs to be changed. Never the "readings".

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
PSS: This was not intended for Auriga1. I posted this to the wrong thread! So sorry, auriga1. You need weight loss like I need less hair. lol

auriga1 replied to brunosbud's response:
LOL, brunosbud. No offense taken. I've gained weight since then. My doctor says it is now "normal" for my height and frame.

I kind of liked the 123 pounds at first. "Model" thin. Must say, though, that I did get the strangest looks, especially at the beach. My vertebrae were all showing when I bent over. Seriously, that is not a nice look. No shape whatsoever. Looked much better with clothes on. LOL.

I actually had to eat and drink to gain weight. I never drank shakes, but I tried for awhile. Chocolate. Could never finish a whole one. A few sips were enough for me, but the doctor said I needed something with fat and calories. They told me to do the Ensure. Chocolate shake was so much better on the taste buds.

brunosbud replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks for your understanding & Happy New Year, too! Unfortunately, Auringa1, I believe the word, "vertebrae" is not permitted on this board so I will have to report you. Sorry.

auriga1 replied to brunosbud's response:
Happy New Year brunosbud...and happy reporting. Should I have said the 24 bones stacked upon each other in the adult spine???

Okay, okay. My bones were showing and I had chicken legs. Very appealing look.

And you're not sorry one bit.

deb5204 replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks to all for the comments. My first post was on a Sunday evening and I e-mailed the endo that night thru the patient portal our clinic has. His nurse called me in the AM and he put me on 10 units of insulin at night before bed. Told me to keep track for two weeks and see what happens. So far it still is all over the place but generally seems to be going down. My two weeks is up on Monday the 6th. Since I was practically eating no carbs at all I have been increasing carbs too and keeping track of food. This way I can make sure my liver is not putting the glucose in my blood. We'll see what they say once I send it to them. I know my insulin may need to be increased but I do have more energy since taking it. I know this may take a while too. Again thanks to all for your advice and support. Happy New Year!

glucerna replied to deb5204's response:
Thanks for letting us know how you're doing. I'm glad you're feeling better with insulin, and tracking your carbohydrate intake is going to give your endo additional useful information. I'm really glad you're advocating for yourself! ~Lynn @Glucerna

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.