Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I want to get off Janumet
An_254774 posted:
I took metformin inconsistently for about 5 years, exercised, ate fairly well, and kept my A1C between 6 and 6.5%. When there was a very stressful situation with our family for the past year, my sugar went up to 7.1A1C, so I was put on 50/1000 Janumet twice a day. I take it faithfully, have my A1C down to 5.7%, and asked my dr to let me start cutting back on the medication. He said no. I have lost 25 pounds on Janumet, now weigh 122, and am ready to try a natural way of controlling the numbers. Can anyone suggest a natural combination of nutrients/herbs/minerals that can be added to the Janumet, as I try to cut back on the drug very gradually? I don't want to be on Janumet, as I keep seeing the cancer warnings on TV. My blood pressure is normal, and my cholesterol is normal (I take 3 T flax seed freshly ground daily). Any help out there??

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.