Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pre diabetes and weight
golftlist posted:
Hi

I am an Asian man in my 40s , 5'9" and diagnosed as pre diabetes two months ago. At that time, my glucose is 107 and my a1c is 5.9. My weight is 160lb. Sine then I have been cutting back on candy, juice, ice cream, rice, and most Asian flour based food. I still eat a lot of fruit, a regular amount of bread, and meat. I practice golf almost every day for at least half hour. Run one or two times per week, 3-4 miles each time. My weight is now only 145lb. I did a blood test today, my a1c however is now 6.0. I was very frustrated sine I thought the number should be better. Now I am very worried. On one side I do not want to loss any more weight. On the other hand, my number is not improving. What should I do?

Thank you gl

glucerna responded:
It's great that you made changes to your food habits and lost weight, and regular exercise is also key. Ask your doctor or check with the local hospital to find out about pre-diabetes education programs in your area to get additional information about changes you could make. Counting grams of carbohydrate you consume at each meal and snack can also be really helpful. ~Lynn @Glucerna

betatoo responded:
golftlist,
Many of us here have found that a diet that excludes white starches, and limits orange and brown starches works well for us. You may find that doing this will help lower your numbers before they hit the range. I am also 5'9" and now weigh in at 145-150. I used to be 170 before diagnosis and life change. My food intake now is around 9-10 servings of veggies, 1-2 of fruit(usually berries, or an apple) and lean protein. I balance my intake of calories and maintain my weight with nuts mostly. I regularly workout, doing around 50 push ups and around 40 chin ups/pull ups every other night. I also kayak in summers, and ride the bike. Winter it is hunting, and treadmill. I am retired now, but make pottery on the side. Oh yeah, I am 64 and not on meds.

auriga1 responded:
Golftlist, many of us are highly intolerant of carbs. That is the way our bodies are. All of our foods contain carbs except for protein and fats.

I am highly intolerant of carbs. I cannot eat any without my sugars going way up. Bread, any kind of bread is a no-no for me. Grains are not my friend.

In a very small percentage of diabetics or pre-diabetic, weight has nothing to do with it. I am 5'9" and weighed 123 pounds when I was diagnosed. I also had an A1C of 13.2. Awful.

You probably have to curtail your intake of grains, not eliminate them, lower the intake. Make sure your carb intake is high complex carbs. Fruits contain natural sugars and will raise your blood sugars.

It is recommended that you have 7 1/2 hours of exercise per week to help keep your blood sugars normal. My job is very physically active at 15 hours a week. It helps keep my blood sugars normal.

If you can add more weight-bearing exercise to your regime, it would be helpful. Your muscles utilize the glucose in your blood stream as fuel.

Again, in some of us, weight is not the catalyst to you developing diabetes. Invest in a carb counter and do your research to find out which ones are best for you.

brunosbud responded:
There's no known cause of T2D, so doctors prefer to talk in terms of "risk factors". High Stress Lifestyle. Age is another. (>45). Genetics and family history is another. Overweight. Sedentary lifestyle. Alcohol. Tobacco use. High Blood Pressure. High Cholesterol. Hypothyroidism. Dark skin around the neck, arm pits and groin. History of pancreatitis. Exposure to industrial chemicals (especially heavy metals). Previous use of certain statins, corticosteroids and heart medications. Allergies or poor oral hygiene. Insomnia or Sleep Apnea. Dehydration. Low Vitamin (D) & mineral levels.

If doctors determine the existence of multiple risk factors, they are likely to ask about the classic symptoms of diabetes:
  • Thirst
  • Peeing, frequently
  • Fatigue
  • Weight loss
  • Blurry vision
  • Erectile dysfunction
  • Skin disorders
  • Tingling or burning sensations in hands or bottoms of feet

What you've said is addressed weight and improved diet. Your exercise is "low-to-moderate", imo, and you've mentioned just two A1C test results (almost identical I might add). Please read:
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/Supplement_2/S184.full

"A1C is indicated as a diagnostic tool alternative but not superior to blood glucose, leaving to the health care professional the decision about what test to use in an individual."

My suggestion?
1. Relax and get plenty of rest.
2. How do you feel? (If you feel good with good energy and optimistic about life, you're probably fine. )
3. Review your blood tests results with your physician, especially, other risk factors (cholesterol, and indications of ongoing inflammation (WBC, C-Reactive Protein, Liver and Kidney Function).
4. Check you blood glucose, regularly, and make certain your doctor gets copies of your test results before your scheduled visits so he/she can reconcile BG with A1C results.
5. Brisk walk (preferably in sunlight) at least 30 mins/day
6. Relax and get plenty of rest. Very important!

Happy new year!

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
39 of 50 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.