Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What do I do if diagnosed with Pre Diabetic?***NEW
dmhtb24x7 posted:
My number is on the Cusp....what do I do first? No prescription for machine, what do I feel like if it is to high or to low? HELP!!!!!!!!!!

glucerna responded:
I'm glad you're ready to make changes to your lifestyle to reduce blood sugar levels. The American Diabetes Association has good information about prediabetes at http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/prevention/pre-diabetes/ You might also ask if your local hospital or diabetes clinic holds a class for people with prediabetes. Some YMCAs also hold prediabetes programs. ~Lynn @Glucerna

brunosbud responded:
Rest...slow down and make sleep a top priority.
If you drink alcohol, make a decision. Getting high or getting well.
Educate: Learn which foods are safe and which foods are not.
Walk. Do you have a dog? You'd be doing him and you an enormous amount of good.
Learn to listen to your doctor. Your doctor can be your greatest resource for learning to live & thrive with diabetes.

Learning how to live with diabetes is not your problem. At the moment, there's 80 million pages on the subject on google. The challenge for you and everybody with diabetes is putting what you learn to practice. Good luck.

betatoo replied to brunosbud's response:
If I might add an addendum here Bruno. . . At the moment, there's 80 million pages on the subject on google. The challenge for you and everybody with diabetes is putting what you learn to practice. For me the biggest part was selecting the most reliable information out of the 80 million pages. After all, as I pointed out many times before the ADA did not recognize the Low carb diet as a viable diet until just 2010-11.

The low carb diet was a diet that was most prevalent in the 1890's before medications. After medications came about it seemed that was the most accepted treatment for diabetes.

emmie1972 responded:
I'm in the same boat! I was put on metformin ER and am having a cruddy reaction- I have no way to measure blood sugar. I have no dietary guidance, so I'm eating an almost no sugar, low carb, whole foods diet. I was fine yesterday before I started the drug- now I am thirsty beyond description, urinating a lot and tired. I have a call into my endo.

I will look for a prediabetes class!

betatoo replied to emmie1972's response:
Emmie, several things here. First metformin in known to upset folks when they first start taking it. Later they adjust and most folks will actually lose some weight when on it. However, it does take time for any action to take effect.

When I was first diagnosed my Dr. prescribed metformin, I declined telling him that I would rather try doing things with diet and exercise. At the time I was 170 male, stood 5'9", 34 inch waist. One month later I had lost 10lbs, and an inch or two at the waist. I was doing treadmill everynight, pull-ups and pushups. I started kayaking in the Spring, Summer and Fall, riding a bike also. Now 4 years later I find I am 145-150, 30" waist. My numbers have remained in range for a normal person for the past 3 years. I continue to build core muscle, and in the Winters now bowl in 3 leagues, do the treadmill, total gym and pull-ups and push ups. It all take time, committment and a total life style change. Can you do this?

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.