Skip to content
A1C and what to expect long term?
lbiffle posted:
My last A1C, three weeks ago was 7.3. I was diagnosed almost eight years ago, and I am male, 5'8", 53 years old, and I weigh 170. I eat fairly well, and I exercise 3-4 times per week at a gym, or riding by bicycle. I ride in charity events, as much as 42 miles. My A1C never seems to go below 7.0. Long term are my bg levels a bad thing? My endo seems to think they are not too bad. I wear an insulin pump with Apidra, and i also take Met. My insurance carrier, BCBS, will not pay for a cgm, but my doc says I qualify medically. I've been thinking about calling Blur Cross and arguing with them.

If I can't get to a 6.0+ A1C over years, am I likely to suffer more complications than the mild neuropathy I have in my left foot from years ago?

Thanks,

Les

mrscora01 responded:
Studies have shown that an a1c of about 7% is sort of a cut off. Below, you are statistically safer from complications than you are above. That said, who was it who stated "there are lies, damned lies, and statistics" You can't read everything into stats. I know folks who had really good control and got complications and there are folks with terrible control who don't. Basically you want to play the odds and get as good numbers as possible with a minimum of fluctuations. There is probably a difference between an a1c of 7.3 with large fluctuations and one that is more steady state.

You need to do the best you can. To tweak your control I would get the book "pumping Insulin". It's kind of a bible for us pumpers and will help you get numbers down without going low too often.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

glucerna responded:
There's some good information about research studies that looked at how to manage blood sugar levels and that keeping A1c <7 statistically helps people with diabetes stay healthier here: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/control/

It's good to talk wtih your endo about your individual situation and get his recommendation for anything you might do differently. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.