Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Reversing diabetese Type 2 - adjusting metformin & sensitivity
xian555 posted:
Hi,

Since I started circuit training about a month ago (doing it 7/7 days) my insulin intake has dropped to less than half, from a total of about 120u/day basal + bolus. Also adjusted eating habits from 2000-3000 Cal/day down to 1500 Cal/day to start loosing weight after months of efforts with no results. The Cal level was rec'd by my endocrinologist.

He indicated that if I continued my efforts I would no longer need insulin, and eventually would not need metformin (actuially Glumetza now). But I just saw him last week and he did not have time to answer all my questions and won't see him for another 6 months. He explained that insulin consumption would drop from initial levels of 42u/day basal and 3.6 u/gm carbs to about half, and then for further reduction I would have to loose weight. Well I've started to loose weight. Based on current situation I won't need insulin in 2-3 months from now.

My question is about adjusting down my Metformin (or Glumetza) dosage once I no longer need insulin. Also my sensitivity factor is currently at 1.0, i.e. for every unit of blood sugar I have above 7.0 mmol/L I take 1u/bolus. So 3 hours after a meal and insulin intake if my blood sugar is at 10.0 mmol/L I'll take an adjustment dose of 3u of bolus to bring it back to the 4-7 mmol/L range. When I started insulin treatment several years ago my sensitivity factor was initially set at 0.5 by my doctor. I believe there's a relationship between the sensitivity factor and the total insulin consumed (basal + bolus) per day but not sure what it is. Does any one know?

Thx

xian555

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.