Skip to content
Illness, Inactivity, and Fasting Sugar
flutetooter posted:
Some time ago "Beta" mentioned in a discussion that he worried about what would happen at times that maybe he was ill and possibly someone else would be in charge of his health and he couldn't do all his planks and kayaking. I think about that often. There was a recent post also from someone else about the type of food and also alcohol consumed by diabetics in care facitilites. Same problem!

I have found myself recently having to really watch my sugars while undergoing a 30 day heart monitor test, and a 3 day EEG, where I looked like a Smurf cartoon character with a white "cone head" instead of blue Smurf head due to 24 electrodes and a black connecting box on top of my head. Thank heaven those tests are behind me as of yesterday, but left me with a fasting sugar 20 points higher this morning. This is just a one day jump probably due to NO real physical activity and having to sit in front of a video camera as many hours a day as possible and also put the video camera on me at night. Good sleep was nearly impossible. This morning's breakfast was an asparagus omelet and coffee, and a few olives. Later it will be Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup wild blueberries and walnuts. Later lean meat, greens and veggies, and 1/2 cup lowsalt V-8 for the potassium. ---And so it goes, until my sugars are normal again. I may need a pacemaker. My average heart beat is 51, but I have been doing fine with that for years. Now, however, I am older. The pacemaker will allow me to do more strenuous exercise and have more energy. I'm still nervous, and that doesn't help the blood sugar either.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

auriga1 responded:
Flute, it is absolutely true for me also that inactivity causes my sugars to go higher. I actually need more insulin to bring my sugars down. I'd rather "work" off any excess sugar running around in my bloodstream.

I had been ill (not recently) with vomiting and diarrhea. No intake and a lot of output (TMI, I know.) No food intake, no activity...actually laying in bed for the better part of two days. I still had to take my basal insulin in order for my blood sugar to remain relatively normal.

I am glad you are serious about the pacemaker. Energy makes you feel so much better. 51 beats per minute is quite low unless you are a serious athelete. Then it would be normal. Nervous is understandable. Keep in mind that many people have had this procedure done with excellent results. Think positive.

Totally off the beaten path, I've been nervous every single time I had to leave my house and get in my car today. I'm in Chicago and it is quite pitiful here. Our high today was -14?. Windchill at -45?. We had a foot of snow dumped and then the artic blast. Alaska is 25? warmer than we are now. Lovely. Yep, the streets are nerve-wracking.

flutetooter replied to auriga1's response:
Auriga, we are in N.W. Indiana with the lake effect snow also - 18" on our driveway and walks. I have a doctor's appointment in Valparaiso on Thurs. which is do-able, but I need medical reports from Chicago that I have to hand deliver the EEG monitor,etc., to Chicago today (NOT!) and possibly tomorrow (maybe) and get the results Fed-Exed back to the doctor by Thursday, or else wait another week for results. Oh well, the snow is beautiful, I'm, getting some old household projects completed since our roads are still closed, and I am eating healthy. Tonight shredded chicken tacos wrapped in many leaves of Romaine lettuce instead of tortillas. We already cancelled a two week Caribbean vacation that was supposed to start on Friday, and am hoping to make our Florida vacation in March. It depends on whether and when there is a possible pacemaker.

debs_bears responded:
Flute 3 days with the EEG I thought 24 hrs was bad I can't imagine what it was like for you.

51 beats per min. that is low - I'll give you some of mine my average at rest if 95. Yes with slight movement it can go as high as 150.

When will you find out about the pacemaker?

I do pray for those on this board -

As for the weather at present I have -20 with a wind chill of -40 tomorrow is suppose to be a repeat of today and or worse.

May we all stay home unless we have to go out it better be for a good reason. Debbie

flutetooter replied to debs_bears's response:
Thanks Debs for your concern. I will also keep you in my prayers for your surgery tomorrow.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.