Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
male dysfunction and type two diabetes
An_254965 posted:
This is a serious subject to those with this condition. Can anyone give tips (diet, supplements etc.), that can help with sexual dysfunction in people with type two diabetes. Please keep the jokes to yourself, lets be Adults about this subject, thanks

jandc1986 responded:
Yes this is serious but lets keep things light, exercise is the number one way to help, supplements are bull, eat lots and lots of green and stay away from refined foods and make sure to get 8 hrs sleep. hope this helps

brunosbud responded:
Erectile dysfunction is a common neurological disorder associated with type 2 diabetes. Other neurological problems as a result of chronic high blood sugar? Retinopathy (blindness), diabetic neuropathy (amputation of limbs), gastroparesis (stomach) and, now, diabetes may the leading cause of Alzheimer's...

"...Persistent hyperglycemia appears to play an important role in cerebral dysfunction. Many years ago, Reaven et al. demonstrated that performance on cognitive tasks assessing learning, reasoning, and complex psychomotor performance was inversely related to glycemic control in a small population of subjects with type 2 diabetes..." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797942/

I agree with jandc on all counts. You said no "jokes"? OK, then, I say no "tips". Because if you think it's affecting just one "head", chances are you're forgetting the other...

brunosbud replied to brunosbud's response:
One piece of advice that no doctor, no endocrinologist, no diabetes educator will ever explain to you is this:

Not only is it imperative to eat fresh, whole unprocessed foods to control hyperglycemia, it's essential for the reconstruction and repair of damaged tissues, too! There are no "tips" or "tricks" or "supplements" that can do what fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins (plus, daily exercise!!!!!!) can do. They are just as essential to eat (these foods) as it is to take the drugs your physician prescribes. In fact, from my perspective, they are the most powerful "medicines" in the world. This secret is the primary reason why the Diabetes and Obesity epidemic will be difficult to slow, imo...

Generations have now been "trained" to view food as entertainment. Nobody "eats", anymore. Everyone "dines".

maxhandley11 replied to brunosbud's response:
I agree with you. If your food isn't tasty, it is probably healthy. Stop pursuing tasty, pursue healthy. We ought to go as far backwards in time as possible ( regarding eating).

Anon_320 replied to maxhandley11's response:
"I agree with you. If your food isn't tasty, it is probably healthy. Stop pursuing tasty, pursue healthy."

I can't see that anyone else said anything like that.

If people try to make themselves eat food that's healthful but tastes bad, they're never going to succeed. Good-for-you and good-tasting are not mutually exclusive. Most healthful food is or can be made to taste good. I feel sorry for you if you don't know that.

brunosbud replied to Anon_320's response:
Agreed. Getting diagnosed for diabetes does not mean a life in the Gulag. My wife laughs when we watch Chef Gordon Ramsey do his "miraculous" kitchen makeovers. He runs into a Whole Foods, grabs a bunch of fresh vegetables, fruits and lean proteins, cuts way back on the oil, no fancy sauces just salt and pepper and Ouila! The customers go ga-ga, text all their friends, then, plunk a $100 buck for the meal and wine. It's all an illusion. It's all "ambience". Nevertheless, cooking is chemistry and Ramsey is a great "meth" cook that knows his flavors. But, he's dead in the water if he doesn't have "fresh".

Healthy is a very deceptive term on this board, imo..."Fresh" is better word for how to eat for diabetes.

PS: In many asian and european countries, many of the food markets are small neighborhood establishments that get food, direct, from local growers. People tend to shop, everyday, rather "stock up" like most Americans at Costco and Walmart. It's no great surprise why these people have slimmer waistlines and less diabetes...at least to me...

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.