Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Home After Only 5 Days
debs_bears posted:
Thanks for praying all of you I have to admit other than feeling like I was run over by a Mack Truck I am doing good. Instead of saying "grandma got run over by a reindeer" I can say this grandma got run over by a Mack Truck. All things considered I am doing good.

I am back home and recovering, thanks to everyone's prayers and positive thoughts for me the entire hospital stay went without any real complications.

I had both hernias fixed with a biological mesh all around my intestines right up to the under side of my stoma. Took just a little over 3 hrs.

Got sick in recovery (was treated with Zofran immediately) never got sick again. Was eating ice chips first day, second clear liquids, third day full liquids and the last two day full low reside diet.

Since I can not take strong narcotics I was only given IV Tylenol, IV IBP and Valium (not for me started hallucinating) had to be stopped. After 3 days of IV's I was put on oral meds which did not touch the pain so they gave me a new drug called NUCYNTA and within an hour my pain went from 7 to 5. I never slept until Sat. evening 5 hrs straight.

NUCYNTA will always be my choice of semi-strong narcotics as it does not cause constipation. I can't afford that right now.

I had a central line put in upon arrival (what a Blessing) last surgery I had I went through 7 IV's in my arms in 4 days before they gave me a PICC line. That hospital stay was 16 days.

I have only 4 small 2" incisions everywhere, had a JP Drain, and the central line. I now have the holes remaining that are still draining so I have to watch them. Change the dressings once a day or as needed.

I even got a new stoma - my old one that I got on Oct. 30th was only 3/4" round and below my tummy skin - it is typically supposed to be at least a half inch above the tummy skin - my new stoma is now looking like a mushroom just dark pink in color, it measures 1-1/2" tall, top part round at 2" and the stem is 1-1/2". It will shrink to a permanent size at about the 8th week. My ileostomy works better now than it ever did. I have to admit 3 major stomach surgeries in 6 months is not something I'd recommend to anyone. It really wears one out physically and mentally.

The kind of hernia I had doesn't always need to be fixed, but my doctor said the moment she went in she knew it HAD to be fixed before I got a full obstruction - as it was I was only having 2 small BM's a day now I am going without stopping a good thing for people wearing a bag on the outside of their body.

Another good thing that happened is my stay was only 5 days, a first for me for the past 15 surgeries my least days spent in the hospital was 8 days and the most was 35. All in all it was a good successful surgery. Pain should lessen each day I go back to the doctor in 3 weeks for a check up.

Thanks again for your support, prayers and love I could feel it at the hospital. Debbie

glucerna responded:
I'm so glad to hear from you Debbie. It's great you're feeling well enough to post, and wonderful that you had a shorter than expected hospital stay. Stay positive! ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.