Skip to content
Morning numbers too high
dmh22 posted:
I am on Metformin and my numbers will be low at night and eating nothing after that when I wake up my numbers are higher. Why is that?

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

Many of us with Type 2 Diabetes experience a condition knows as the "Dawn Phenomenon" or "Dawn Effect".

Here is a link to information that explains this: http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Adults-Living-with-Type-2/DAWN-PHENOMENON/td-p/113294

If you are following a healthy diet and exercising, this could be an explanation for your morning blood glucose readings being high. You should discuss this with your doctor asap.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

glucerna replied to davedsel2's response:
Thanks for sharing that excellent link Dave. dmh22 your doctor will look at your blood sugar numbers from testing at different times during the day, plus your A1c to make determinations in the best medications and treatment for you. ~Lynn @Glucerna

richtay985 responded:
Blood Glucose normally increases while you sleep. This is a chemistry thing your body does and you have no control over it. However, if you get your doctor to prescribe Onglyza, this will prevent or help prevent your spikes during the day and your gradual increases while you sleep. Metformin combined with Onglyza can create problems with low blood sugar just be careful and make sure you eat a snack before bedtime. If you sleep more than 8 hours, you need to set your alarm on hour 4 and check your blood glucose until you get a handle on how it is going to affect you.

max9821 responded:
I have found that if I just have a salad at the end of the day my morning numbers will a bit higher than in the eighties where they usually are. At night when not eating and your blood sugar goes down the liver releases sugar into the blood stream to prevent it from going too low.

dolores

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.