Skip to content
Help!
An_255210 posted:
Please help me understand "coding". What is it, what does it means, etc.?

mrscora01 responded:
It's used in current advertising. It used to be that each new box of test strips had a "code" with it that needed to be put into the blood sugar machine to help ensure accuracy. They've stopped needing this, but it's supposedly a significant advantage and they use it in the ads. All glucose machines are now "code" free.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

max9821 replied to mrscora01's response:
Not only are they code free now but unlike the meters that were used when I was first diagnosed more than twenty years ago, the present day meters are calibrated so they now read the same as your results would read from having your blood drawn from a vein at the doctors instead of capillary blood which you draw yourself at home. Before calibrating the monitors would read a lower number than the plasma reading from a vein draw.

dolores

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.