Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
advertising policy
max9821 posted:
webmd has an advertising policy. No advertisements or solicitation for business. Yet glucerna, a product, is advertised on this group all the time. Like product placement in movies. I am surprised webmd has not done something about this. The person who posts under the name glucerna should use a different name on the group and remove the constant product placement advertisement. That would be conforming to webmd policy.

dolores

davedsel2 responded:
Dolores,

There have been many discussions regarding this subject. Most of the posts have been deleted. Personally, I agree with you and feel this is a subliminal form of advertising.

WebMD does allow advertising as long as they approve it.
Here is a link to the WebMD Advertising Policy: http://www.webmd.com/about-webmd-policies/about-advertising-policy
Since it has continued this form of advertising must have been approved by WebMD.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

mrscora01 responded:
I suspect that what has happened is that this person got a username loophole. So far she has behaved herself fairly well as basically all she says is "congrats on doing a good job" and "it's a good idea for you to see your doctor". So no real additions to the subjects, but no actual endorsement of a product. I do agree that the subliminal nature of the username is annoying. But then again, yiou can't like everyone's username.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

flutetooter responded:
I agree and have reported these posts many times from the very beginning. It is sort of like the "Marlborro man" who appears rugged in advertising a product even without words. Miss Glucerna is always smiling and leaves the impression - "Gee, if I use Glucerna, I will look like that also."
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

davedsel2 replied to flutetooter's response:
Interesting you should mention "The Marlborro Man". He just died of a lung illness. Anyone surprised??

Blessings,

-Dave

nutrijoy replied to flutetooter's response:
Individuals have the responsibility of determining whether or not any particular product is suitable (or beneficial) for their own particular health. My own views on Glucerna mirror those stated in this post . I avoid processed foods whenever possible but made some exceptions during the holidays. As expected, it had a slight impact (negative) on my BG levels but it was marginal.

auriga1 replied to davedsel2's response:
Part of his "payment" was in the form of free cartons of cigarettes. Can't let those go to waste, now can we. Very sad.

max9821 replied to davedsel2's response:
Dave, I wonder why the posts have been removed? Are you saying her posts have been removed or complaints have been removed. And there is nothing subliminal about product placement advertising. It is blatant. And this is the internet. For all anyone knows glucerna could be a six foot two fifty year old guy who works in the glucerna advertising department. Who doesn't have diabetes. And I read the advertising policy and glucerna does not conform with some of the rules.

Cora you are right. Her comments consist mostly of cheer leading which makes the use of a product name even more distasteful.

Web md is, after all, a business. And maybe not such an ethical one at that.

dolores

flutetooter replied to max9821's response:
Click on Glucerna's avatar picture and go back to 2 months ago in her reply to the Topic "Who is Glucerna". She says she is a "registered dietition/nutritionist and certified diabetes educator"........and a "consultant for Glucerna" Nuf said?

davedsel2 replied to max9821's response:
Posts discussing or complaining about the glucerna username were deleted, mine amongst them. I spouted in my post and questioned the ethics of this site. My post was deleted. To be honest, I am surprised this thread still exists.

I am now very careful about what I post and to whom and about whom. No big deal, just trying to acclimate to the current environment. I've seen so many changes over the past 10 plus years that I've been a member of the WebMD communities. This is just another change.

Blessings,

-Dave

max9821 replied to davedsel2's response:
for a registered dietician and certified diabetes educator her posts do not seem to educate nor does she seem all that knowledgeable. Bye the way, did I mention that I am an admiral in the U.S. Navy?

dolores

flutetooter replied to max9821's response:
She does, however have a glowing smile which may be supposed to make us desire to use Glucerna products and be glowingingly healthy!

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.