Skip to content
Type I Diabetes
artmin posted:
I was diagnosed in 2006 as having type I diabetes, according to my doctor, at that time, because I am taking insulin everyday. During 2013, while being prepped for a surgery procedure, the attending doctor said I was told wrong. According to him, I'm type II. Can anyone explain the difference?

auriga1 responded:
Type 1 diabetes, formerly known as Juvenile Diabetes (mostly because it was diagnosed in young children) is an autoimmune disease. Although common in the young, it can occur at any age.

Autoimmune meaning that the patient's own immune system attacks the body. In Type 1 diabetes, the beta islet cells (the insulin-making cells of the pancreas are infiltrated with T-lymphocytes (think of it as the immune system gone crazy.) The pancreas makes little to no insulin, hence the need for exogenous insulin (injections.)

Type 2 is generally diagnosed in those over 30. Patients can acquire Type 2 if they gain weight, especially of the upper body (visceral/abdominal.) They also may have both insulin secretion impairment along with insulin resistance.

Type 1 is generally diagnosed after a battery of tests, one being the C-peptide. Have you had any tests done? I don't see how a doctor can confirm a diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes without testing being done.

Taking insulin is not symptomatic of being a Type 1 diabetic. I take insulin injections four to five times a day and was diagnosed as a Type 2. There are many Type 2's who need insulin to keep control of their numbers.

Patients are diagnosed as diabetics when their blood sugar readings appear higher than what is considered to be in the non-diabetic range. The average BS reading of a non-diabetic is 85.

Hope this helps.

plazadental responded:
In a brief we can say that in Diabetes Type 1 the body is not producing insulin, while in Diabetes Type 2 the cells are not responding properly to the insulin, and/or there is not enough insulin being produced. It is also found that in type 1 diabetes, there are episodes of low blood sugar level while in type 2, There are no episodes of low blood sugar level, unless the person is taking insulin or certain oral diabetes medicines. Last but not the least is that Diabetes Type 1 cannot be prevented whereas Type 2 Diabetes can be prevented or delayed with a healthy lifestyle.

brunosbud responded:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/06/17/diabetic-teens-skipping-insulin-to-lose-weight/

Quite a story. I think most people haven't a clue how powerful insulin is and what it can do...

mrscora01 replied to brunosbud's response:
Bruno, I didn't read the article, but just from the link, diabulimia is becoming more and more common among diabetic women of all ages.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.