Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Please help. Just diagnosed with diabetes 2.
ninajanemarie posted:
Hi, I was just diagnosed today with diabetes 2. I am feeling shame and gguilt, and I don't know why. I am an adult and I am feeling afraid to tell my mother, and I know I need to tell her. Can you help me?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

brunosbud responded:
Why do you feel shame? Where did you learn to fear discussing important personal challenges with people you love? Who would teach you such things? More importantly, should you have kids, would you teach them, same?

glucerna responded:
Getting a diagnosis like diabetes can be really difficult in many ways. Look for a diabetes support group in your area, and ask your doctor for a referral to diabetes education. The more you learn about diabetes and how you can manage it, the more successful and confident you'll feel. Plus meeting other people with diabetes and talking with them can help you feel more connected. Often people feel like they caused diabetes to happen, and that can lead to shame and not taking care of yourself. No matter the reason for the diagnosis, you now have the power to manage diabetes. ~Lynn @Glucerna

ninajanemarie replied to brunosbud's response:
Dear brunosbud, After talking with professionals and doing research, I learned that feelings of guilt or shame are normal after receiving a serious diagnosis such as diabetes. I was looking for answers, not more shame. I try not to shame people as it erodes their self confidence, especially children.

ninajanemarie replied to glucerna's response:
Thank you so much for your understanding and encouragement. I needed to hear that it wasn't my fault. I will follow your helpful suggestions, take care of myself, and manage my diabetes well. Again, thank you.

brunosbud replied to ninajanemarie's response:
Dear ninajanemarie, I gave you an answer...It just wasn't the one you wanted to hear. But, thank goodness, you found the one you were looking for. And, it's been validated by professionals, no less. With that said, if you have any questions about how best to control your diabetes and live a happy and productive life, I will try to be more helpful, next time. Best of luck.

davedsel2 replied to ninajanemarie's response:
I'm going to throw a monkey wrench into this discussion and say that I believe acquiring Type 2 Diabetes IS our fault. The bottom line is that in most cases this disease is the result of lifestyle choices. The choice to eat too much of the wrong foods and not exercise enough. That is why in many cases it is reversible with a lifestyle change.

Other factors come into play as well, of course. There are additives in processed foods that are contributing to the national obesity and diabetes epidemics, as well as fast food restaurants. As we go through life making the wrong choice we come to a point were the consequences start to emerge. Obesity, heart disease and diabetes are the top 3 I can think of. Heredity definitely plays a roll in our become susceptible to these diseases.

I pray you can make the needed changes to manage your condition.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

davedsel2 responded:
I want to also add that I do understand your feelings of guilt and shame. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2001. I am still struggling to gain control and am on 3 medications (metformin, glimeperide and victoza). I have battled obesity all my life and still do not have victory over that. I know how difficult it is to change. That does not mean it is impossible nor that we should stop trying. I am working on turning my guilt into conviction and ultimately actions that will bring me the victories I seek.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

ninajanemarie replied to davedsel2's response:
Dear Dave, Thank you for your answer and your encouragement. I do hear your reasoning in regard to acquiring diabetes and it being our fault. I understand your point of view. All last year, I was ill and sedentary, and I am overweight. I ate very healthfully, so I was shocked when I was diagnosed. I did not think of diabetes last year. My doc just requested the blood test last Wednesday. Again, I appreciate your kind words and encouragement. Blessing to you also.

turtlebook responded:
You have nothing to be ashamed of. Diabetes is a disease. Learn how to work with healthy eating and get some exercise. If you are working with your doctor and maintaining a positive attitude, telling family members may not be as hard.
Best wishes for the future,

turtlebook

ninajanemarie replied to turtlebook's response:
Dear turtlebook, Thank you for your helpful response. You are right. I am over my initial response to my diagnosis and am thinking clearly now. I told my mother and she is very supportive. I might have gotten some of my perceptions of the disease from her. She likened diabetes with the diagnosis of cancer! I had to calm her down and assure her that my condition was totally manageable. She finally, like I said, became supportive. I will educate her right along with my education . I have my first class on Thursday. My attitude and outlook is optimistic now. Thanks for your support!

turtlebook replied to ninajanemarie's response:
So glad to hear this for your sake and your mom's sake.

glucerna replied to turtlebook's response:
I think you're right that the more your mom learns about diabetes, the more she'll understand you can manage it. Perhaps she can attend the diabetes class with you? That way she'll be able to ask questions and see first-hand how she can help support your efforts. ~Lynn @Glucerna

ninajanemarie replied to glucerna's response:
Dear Lynn, Thank you for your response. Your suggestion is great! Will see if she can join the class. Thanks again.

betatoo responded:
I don't post often here, as it seems to be much the same. I will tell you nina that your diabetes is something so many go through. It is a call to action, action that need to happen in so many ways. Change in lifestyle that means cutting out the white starches and back on the orange and brown ones, adding more movement to your daily routine with either meaningful exercise or a healthy hobby or sport, becoming aware of what effects your blood sugar by testing frequently in the early months, getting good healthy sleep at night, and over all not stressing.

I am a T2 that was diagnosed in 2009, not over weight at 5'8 and 170, taught school never from a desk, bowled, walked, kayaked and camped. However, I put in 7-10 days, ate a inappropriate times, and did not get more than 6 hrs a night. So blame on me. Now I am 145, healthier, stronger, and living a great retired life with no meds except for Niaspin. BTW doc thinks partly T2 because of Lipitor for many years.

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.