Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes and fasting
An_255325 posted:
My diabetes doctor currently has me on a bed time snack plan because my blood sugar drops in the morning. Now he wants me to fast to have my cholesterol checked. The office isn't around the corner either. It's a pretty good drive from my home to the office. My a1c is great. Couldn't be better. I know it is important to have cholesterol checked but I'm really scared of what might happen if I fast. Is this really a good idea?

davedsel2 responded:
Fasting before certain blood tests like cholesterol or blood glucose are essential for accurate results.

I think the solution is simple - take a snack of some type with you and eat it right after your blood work. If it is a balanced snack you should neither go too low nor spike.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

glucerna responded:
Dave has a good idea to bring a snack with you to eat after the blood test. Be sure to talk with your doctor ahead of time and let him know your fear about dropping too low the morning of the test. He might suggest you do something different the night before the test. Do you have someone who could drive you to the blood test, just to be safe? ~Lynn @Glucerna

Anon_74671 responded:
guidelines for fasting have for lipid testing have recently changed, you may not need to be fasting.

check with you doctor to be sure, read some articles, and if you go not fasting, make sure you tell the lab tech that you aren't fasting (or how long its been since you ate, like 8 hours if you have a snack before bed)

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20121108/fasting-may-not-be-needed-before-cholesterol-test

brunosbud responded:
Some pharmacies draw blood samples. Or, have someone drive you at the 6AM when it opens. It's important to have cholesterol checked. Exercise and cut sugar (sucrose) & processed foods containing high fructose corn syrup to reduce cholesterol.

auriga1 responded:
You should ask your doctor about this. Fasting for a cholesterol check is necessary because eating affects the triglycerides. See if your doc has any ideas that would help you not go low.

Do you take insulin? Just asking because you said you go low in the morning.

Maybe, just a maybe, you could go to bed with a substantially higher blood sugar than what you are used to, so you don't drop so low.

An_255325 responded:
Thanks for all the replies. I told my doctor when he first told me about the fasting and the test that it scares me and he pretty much just gave me a semi sympathetic smile and that was that. He didn't even tell me how long I'd have to fast. Fortunately, I've got my mom who has had these done before to help me. She's also going to drive me there. All of your advice has helped. I now have a plan and feel much better. Thanks again.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.