Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Good News and Bad
flutetooter posted:
1st the good: My A1c this morning was 5.7, instead of the usual 6.0-6.4 over the last year. Mostly, I'm just eating less of everything and especially limiting my carbs in general. I haven't seen 5.7 for several year.
The "Bad" which I hope turns into good, is that I am having a pacemaker installed this Tuesday at 6:15 a.m. to combat my years long bradycardia (low heart rate/pulse) My blood pressure was starting to rise because my organs were not getting enough oxygen and nutrients to function properly and I was running out of energy too much. It will be a whole new set of rules to follow about not using things with radio waves and magnets which would cause the pacemaker to malfunction or not function. I am looking forward to recovering and getting back into the energy mode of living in time for a Florida vacation in mid March. We had to cancel our Caribbean vacations this winter.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

davedsel2 responded:
Flute, excellent job on that great HBA1C!

My 89-year-old MIL is considering a pacemaker as she has had 2 heart attacks, triple by-pass, and has chf. She is resistant so I will be interested to see your results.

I will be praying for your surgery Tuesday morning that all goes well.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

flutetooter replied to davedsel2's response:
Thanks Dave. That A1c was a surprise. I have read that pacemakers are more "productive" with less body trauma from the relatively mild surgery if they are implanted before age 80 or so. It depends on the patient and the doctor. My heart and EKGs are fine, but the pulse for years has been 31 to 110 (rarely 120 with exercise), with an average rate of 51. I just never did exercise very hard or fast, and I do the same moves in the water aerobic classes with a heart rate of 60, that the others do with a heart rate of 120. I thought that was normal for me. I did however have trouble keeping up with the fast water walking, although I could do the twisting, jumping, floating , kicking stuff. I wasn't until the last several months that I have gotten dizzy in the mornings and run out of steam. So...now I believe that it is time. The batteries now last 8-10 years. I remarked to the doctor that meant it would be good until I turned 60, He never cracked a smile.They have really fancy combinations of defibrillators and pacemakers that manage many conditions. Look up those words on the internet and see if any look like they would suit your mother.

debs_bears responded:
Congrats on an excellent A1c. I will be praying for you on Tues. May your surgery go smoothly without any complications. Debbie

flutetooter replied to debs_bears's response:
Thank Deb. This is supposed to be an easy one, but that doesn't help with the anxiety, which of course raised the blood pressure. I went to swim class, had a massage, went shopping and other things I will have to avoid for a while. The freezer is loaded with frozen dinner for HD and plain veggies and lean meats for me.

debs_bears replied to flutetooter's response:
Sounds like you are ready. I have heard good things about pacemakers hope your works good for you as well.

My last surgery for a hernia repair was so sudden - went and saw my doc on Jan 3rd and the 8th I was in surgery. Really no time for me to get prepared. Debbie

auriga1 replied to flutetooter's response:
Congrats, Flute, on both. Great A1C! My last one was 5.6, but that was from too many lows. Need to find a happy middle.

I'm glad you decided to be proactive in feeling better. I know any kind of surgery is known to produce anxiety. Having gone through several myself, it's the anesthesia part. Completely at someone else's mercy, so to speak. No control whatsoever.

Make sure no one you know is around when you wake in case you start babbling non-sensically. LOL. It's been known to happen.

Wish you much luck that things turn out the way they should. Your being healthy for the most part is a major plus. You having it done here at University of Chicago?

My brother has the pacemaker-defibrillator combo. His heart was damaged from radiation and chemo for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma done while in his early 30's. He said the defib part knocks him for a loop. First time, he was not prepared. When he feels the signs, he knows to have a seat or lay down.

flutetooter replied to auriga1's response:
Thanks Auriga. I am glad it is getting done this Tues. so I don't have too many more days to worry. I will not be put under - just a slight twilight effect so I can still respond while they are setting the pulse rate and other numbers. My current vertigo may be a problem in lying flat and not sleeping on my left side.

betatoo replied to flutetooter's response:
Sounds like things are going well with you flute, even though the pacemaker may be a setback in some ways-just take care. The 5.7 is great news, and shows things are working.

I have been indisposed of late as last week I had surgery on thumb that had a cyst and bone spur. I had to prebowl all of my leagues for three weeks, and that left little time with the regular bowling. My blood work for the year is in March, we'll see if I am holding at that magic number <6. I have lost another 5 lbs without even thinking about it. Puts me at 145 at 5'8*. All of this snow and ice in central PA is making everyone look for an early Spring-taint gonna happen!

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
Beta, your "prebowling" sound like my pre-arm weights, prehydro strength class, and pre massage that I crammed into the few days before surgery. I am keeping my gym membership active so I have a place to walk inside.

betatoo replied to flutetooter's response:
Yes keep that gym membership, inside walking is the safest-especially this winter!

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.