Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Pacemaker Installed
    flutetooter posted:
    After dealing just fine with bradycardia (low heartbeat) for 15-20 years with no noticeable symptoms, it was finalyl time to get a pacemaker. It was implanted Tues. a.m. by the U. of Chicago hospitals heart rhythm director and large team) and I came home at noon on Wed. All went well. I have to limit movents, especially any left arm movement above the shoulder or frontwards and backwards at the shoulder or lifting, stretching, pushing for many weeks.

    Prebiabetes wise, I am limiting my total calories to be in line with my total energy output - which is not very much. amd keeping to my limited carbohydrate plan. I have a little more energy every day and almost no pain except sore ribs (from the tiedown straps?) it will be another totall consuming life style change for a while avoiding all magnets and many motors for the rest of my life. Just like living with diabetes, It Is Doable! Just put one foot in front of the other and make the changes! p.s., I'm in pretty good spirits and talked to the doctors almost all the way through the 3 hour procedure being awake or under very light "happy drugs" .
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!
    davedsel2 responded:
    Flute, thanks for the update. Sounds like your surgery was a success. I will pray for quick and complete healing.
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.


    debs_bears responded:
    Wow Flute 3 hr surgery and you were awake enough to talk to the doctors. I couldn't imagine doing that they have to put completely out. Sounds like the surgery went well. Now I will continue my prayers for a complete healing.Debbie
    flutetooter replied to debs_bears's response:
    I had a sort of pretty blue paper half balloon over my head and face (not close enough for claustrophobia) so they could work 2 finger widths below my collarbone area and me not see them. It was really interesting! No pain at all. If they needed to do something and discuss somthing they didn't want me to hear, they could just put al little more "joy juice" into the IV for a few minutes. That procedure eliminated the dangers of complete anesthesia. I treated myself to a 30 second "pity party" just before starting bell.!
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!
    debs_bears replied to flutetooter's response:
    Glad it went smoothly is it working good? How's the pulse and BP? Debbie
    betatoo responded:
    Yeah those happy drugs-great HUH! So glad to hear you are doing well and will soon be able to enjoy the Spring or Summer. Take care, and keep it slow.

    flutetooter replied to debs_bears's response:
    Deb, the pulse was paced at a minimum of about 60 , sometime down to 55 at complete rest, which is a good deal better than the usual 42-48 I had most of the morning and down to the 30s at night. It feels normal but I have to remember that when I climb stairs a NORMAL pulse (like mine is now) will go up higher than my old pulse. It is a learning experience every day. The BP wil take a little longer to adjust as my body gets used to all this. I do feel great, and then I get tired and take a short nap, then great, then sit in a chair for a while. I think it all gets more normal over the weeks.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!
    flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
    My goal over this spring, summer and fall, is to get back to as much exercise as is safe. #1 goal is relaxed kayaking!!!!!! In Florida this spring I will go along for the ride in a two person kayak and take photos with my new camera. Baby steps......
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!
    debs_bears replied to flutetooter's response:
    Wow that is good your resting rate is stabilized, I'd give anything to have a rate of 60ish my normal at rest is 90 and when just walking it goes up to 130 without much effort.

    My problem is due to my lungs though and I don't see the pulmonary doc until April again.

    But I am happy for you that all is well. Take care Debbie
    auriga1 responded:
    I was just thinking about you, Flute. That's why I came around here just now.

    Congratulations to you. In and out. Great news. Shows what keeping healthy and fit does to a body. Not much downtime for you.

    Absolutely no pushing yourself. Happy drugs! LOL.

    We all know you will be yourself in no time. You have a great attitude and spirit.

    Take care of yourself. Glad you gave us an update. Thanks.

    Helpful Tips

    Tip for Less Severe Neuropathy Symptoms
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 over eight years ago and have been lucky enough to control my disease with weight loss, diet and exercise ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Expert Blog

    Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

    Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.