Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pacemaker Installed
flutetooter posted:
After dealing just fine with bradycardia (low heartbeat) for 15-20 years with no noticeable symptoms, it was finalyl time to get a pacemaker. It was implanted Tues. a.m. by the U. of Chicago hospitals heart rhythm director and large team) and I came home at noon on Wed. All went well. I have to limit movents, especially any left arm movement above the shoulder or frontwards and backwards at the shoulder or lifting, stretching, pushing for many weeks.

Prebiabetes wise, I am limiting my total calories to be in line with my total energy output - which is not very much. amd keeping to my limited carbohydrate plan. I have a little more energy every day and almost no pain except sore ribs (from the tiedown straps?) it will be another totall consuming life style change for a while avoiding all magnets and many motors for the rest of my life. Just like living with diabetes, It Is Doable! Just put one foot in front of the other and make the changes! p.s., I'm in pretty good spirits and talked to the doctors almost all the way through the 3 hour procedure being awake or under very light "happy drugs" .
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

davedsel2 responded:
Flute, thanks for the update. Sounds like your surgery was a success. I will pray for quick and complete healing.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

debs_bears responded:
Wow Flute 3 hr surgery and you were awake enough to talk to the doctors. I couldn't imagine doing that they have to put completely out. Sounds like the surgery went well. Now I will continue my prayers for a complete healing.Debbie

flutetooter replied to debs_bears's response:
I had a sort of pretty blue paper half balloon over my head and face (not close enough for claustrophobia) so they could work 2 finger widths below my collarbone area and me not see them. It was really interesting! No pain at all. If they needed to do something and discuss somthing they didn't want me to hear, they could just put al little more "joy juice" into the IV for a few minutes. That procedure eliminated the dangers of complete anesthesia. I treated myself to a 30 second "pity party" just before starting bell.!

debs_bears replied to flutetooter's response:
Glad it went smoothly is it working good? How's the pulse and BP? Debbie

betatoo responded:
Yeah those happy drugs-great HUH! So glad to hear you are doing well and will soon be able to enjoy the Spring or Summer. Take care, and keep it slow.

Best
Pres

flutetooter replied to debs_bears's response:
Deb, the pulse was paced at a minimum of about 60 , sometime down to 55 at complete rest, which is a good deal better than the usual 42-48 I had most of the morning and down to the 30s at night. It feels normal but I have to remember that when I climb stairs a NORMAL pulse (like mine is now) will go up higher than my old pulse. It is a learning experience every day. The BP wil take a little longer to adjust as my body gets used to all this. I do feel great, and then I get tired and take a short nap, then great, then sit in a chair for a while. I think it all gets more normal over the weeks.

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
My goal over this spring, summer and fall, is to get back to as much exercise as is safe. #1 goal is relaxed kayaking!!!!!! In Florida this spring I will go along for the ride in a two person kayak and take photos with my new camera. Baby steps......

debs_bears replied to flutetooter's response:
Wow that is good your resting rate is stabilized, I'd give anything to have a rate of 60ish my normal at rest is 90 and when just walking it goes up to 130 without much effort.

My problem is due to my lungs though and I don't see the pulmonary doc until April again.

But I am happy for you that all is well. Take care Debbie

auriga1 responded:
I was just thinking about you, Flute. That's why I came around here just now.

Congratulations to you. In and out. Great news. Shows what keeping healthy and fit does to a body. Not much downtime for you.

Absolutely no pushing yourself. Happy drugs! LOL.

We all know you will be yourself in no time. You have a great attitude and spirit.

Take care of yourself. Glad you gave us an update. Thanks.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.