Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
family history
mikew1967 posted:
Need some advice. Diabetes in family history; whats best for me to avoid besides healthy diet and exercise or am I on the right path?

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

Many people have success controlling Diabetes by following a healthy diet that is low in starches and higher in vegetables, lean diary and lean proteins. Exercise is also very important.

WebMD has an excellent Diabetes Health Center here: http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/default.htm
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

glucerna replied to davedsel2's response:
Mike, it's great that you're being proactive about your health now. The American Diabetes Association has an online risk test that will give you more information at http://www.diabetes.org/are-you-at-risk/diabetes-risk-test/ It's also a good idea to talk with your doctor now about any additional changes you can make. ~Lynn @Glucerna

brunosbud responded:
20-30 years ago, I think people could get away with not knowing much about T2Diabetes and the risk factors associated with the disease. Today, with over 100 million pages written on the subject at the click of a link, the "Nobody told me..." defense doesn't play, well, anymore. You are on the right path, Mike. The whole point of preventative medicine is "Why in the Sam Hill (especially, if you're overweight, over 40 and have a family history) wait for a diagnosis?".

Behave as if (you're diabetic, now!)...

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

fda guidelines on metformin, wifeofdiabetic
A 29-week double blind study included in FDA guidelines shows the difference in Ac1 hemoglobin percentage drop difference between those ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.