Skip to content
Return of Type 2 diabetes after gastric bipass surgery
An_243880 posted:
I lost 170 lbs due to gastric bipass surgery. I had the surgery 4 years ago and have kept my weight at a stable 140 lb. On a routine blood draw my glucose level was 478. My physician did an HbA1C measurement and it was 5.8. I test 3 times a day I have had numbers as high as 500+ (in her office as well, not just my meter) and as low as 32 (found on another lab blood draw). I'm on a crazy glucose swing and it it causing major problems with other illnesses I have. Both my surgeon and my PCP say the HbA1C appears normal because my levels are wildly fluctuating. A1C is an average over 3 months. No one is sure why except they believe it's related to how my GI tract absorbs glucose and hormones are released. Has this happened to anyone else after gastric bipass surgery?

nutrijoy responded:
Your experiences are common to many patients who have undergone gastric bypass surgery. I don't have any personal experience as I have never been overweight. However, here are a coup;e of links that may help you better cope with your predicament as you are definitely not alone: The first link is a forum discussion and the second is a somewhat preliminary medical observation (not accurate to call it a "study" or to draw finite conclusions). Nonetheless, the pages may be helpful.

glucerna responded:
It's great that you've maintained your weight for 4 years after the bypass surgery. What are your doctors recommending? I know it can't feel good to have your blood sugar levels vary so much, plus it has to be frustrating. ~Lynn @Glucerna

reneegigliotti replied to glucerna's response:
I use insulin when the levels are over 400 and take 1000 mg 2x daily. We are experimenting. They are very concerned that an aggressive effort to bring down the highs will cause more lows., However, the current situation is intolerable for me.

reneegigliotti replied to nutrijoy's response:
Great links.

brunosbud replied to nutrijoy's response:
I find it ironic that in order to avoid post-GBS enhanced insulin response is to "stick to the prescribed RNY (Roux-En-Y) diet". If they only knew, then, what they know, now...

reneegigliotti replied to brunosbud's response:
It's also ironic that I have been absolutely compliant with assigned diet and exercise regiments and yet my glucose levels have been out-of-control. I also have severe bipolar 1 disorder and the intense fluctuations in my glucose levels has pushed me into a rapid cycling bipolar phase. The exacerbation of my bipolar disorder has resulted in several hospitalizations and lost time at work. This whole thing has been a mess.

bapojager responded:
Yes exactly the same thing. I am 12years post gastric & just got diagnoses with Type 2. I am doing fingersticks fasting & 2hrs after my largest meal. My sugars are higher fasting usually above 140. I saw a dietitian & she just gave me the normal speech. Did not care about being post gastric. I don't believe I am a true diabetic but I do believe it has to do with my gastric!! I started having problems with my sugar about the same time I started having problems with my stomach. Don't know what to do or where to turn

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.