Skip to content
OT "Retail Therapy"
flutetooter posted:
In setting up an appointment for my first checkup with this new pacemaker, I mentioned to the Boston Scientific representative (yup, pacemakers have a representative) that I had been having a "downer" morning, but after walking slowly around a store, then I walked around inside faster, then walked in the parking lot on the sunny snowy day, then went to the grocercy store before going home much energized. His comment was that "retail therapy" could do great things. ! lol. $$$
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

davedsel2 responded:
I love retail therapy. Unfortunately, mine does not come with much exercise anymore since I am disabled and walking is very painful. My fingers, though, are in great shape thanks to sites like Amazon.com and Ebay.com. LOL. :d
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

dianer01 responded:
Hi Flute,

Many of the malls open early for those who like to walk. You can walk at your own pace in a safe and comfortable environment.

I am glad you found energy in simple exercise. Endorphins are amazing!

di
accelerate out of the corners

debs_bears responded:
Glad to hear you are able to go out walking and feel energized. I like the word he used "retail therapy". Is it the same of window shopping, you walk, look and don't buy. Saves lots of $$$.

Sounds like you are doing good. Prayers continue that you fully recover with your new pacemaker. Debbie

flutetooter replied to debs_bears's response:
Deb, I think he actually kiddingly meant spending money to make yourself feel better! I actually just bought sugar snap peas to munch on and picked up some prescriptions. Today we are headed into Chicago in another huge snowstorm for my 2 week pacemaker checkup. I will ask the heart doc if he would prefer that I be on a minimal dose of metformain at the time, rather than trying to do it all with diet and exercise --- since my exercise program is obviously changing at least for a while. Its probably good to be on metformin in any case. I try to add only one new pill at a time.

debs_bears replied to flutetooter's response:
Please be careful this storm is going to be a doozie here in Delafield we are going to get up to 6 more inches.

I thought I'd have to go on Metformin at this last A1c because I had 3 surgeries in 6 months, plus Prednisone and lots of antibiotics. 0 exercise and to our shock I am still 5.4% on Monday's test.

I can not be on a diabetic friendly either thanks to my ostomy. Lots of white products which I hate but I have to eat for my new health system. Minimal fiber, low carbs and high protein (no red meats). Not a recommended diet for a diabetic.

My mornings are running about 100-105 and during the day I'll check when I am not feeling quite right and it's 70ish. So I had no idea what my A1c would be like.

I do hope the Metformin will help keep your numbers good without the exercise. Debbie

Yes, we got that 6" here in Northern Indiana and spent most of the day going to Chicago and back in the snow. There were hardly any cars on the road yet, and we went over an UNplowed Skyway! Glad to be home. My pacemaker is doing fine and the tape (steri strips) was taken off. I am cleared for vacations between three more upcoming appointments scheduled for this scientific study. At least I can walk, walk, walk, in some warmer Florida and Caribbean weather. Swimming can be done in 5 more weeks. No kayaking for a while either. Also, I can talk and think at about double speed now, much to the consternation of my friends. It's have to know that you are not feeling up to par compared with others, when it is all you have ever known. Same with diabetes, a person probably doen't know to cut back on sugars and starches when that is all they have usually eaten.

Glad to hear your pace maker is doing good and you can go on vacation. Did you ask about the Metformin? When is your trip?

Our trip is in a month - plenty of time to start walking now that the snow is melting quickly. The appointment yesterday was taken up with testing the "device" and roaring with laughter over lots of things. i.e. I was suffering from a painful "Dolly Parton syndrome" due to the upper torso swelling from the surgery. TMI. It was so snowy and the hospital was almost empty and everybody there was suffering from "snow fever" and needed a good laugh. We came home on an unplowed Chicago skyway. I have an appointment with my pcp in a couple weeks to discuss blood pressure (which is coming down, thank heavens) and we'll discuss the metformin then. It could just be that my sugar is higher with all the disruptions to my body, and the lack of exercise.

Good to hear everything is working out okay. Too bad you didn't have the appt. today, it seems quite nice out there we are at 43 degrees so thing are melting. Tomorrow I have 2 appts. and it is suppose to rain all day. There will make everything messy.

1 month away - that will give you many miles of walking in - of course a little at a time. Debbie

My A1c seems to be holding, even with my lack of vigorous exercise since I am eating smaller meals. The fasting glucose is a bit higher, however. I was told that having a heart beat in the normal range instead of bradycardia would change several of my ""bad" numbers on the general blood tests for the better since my body would be functioning more normally. We'll see as time goes by.

I had clearance to "swish around" in the therapy pool while the others did strength exercises, but chickened out at the last minute to give the incision another week. Who knows how to remove old adhesive tape glue that remains around the edges of the original wound covering? I can always ask at Walgreen's and I am sure the sell a product that does that.

auriga1 replied to flutetooter's response:
LOL, Flute. So sorry. Your adhesive tape glue got me to laughing. Glad you are doing well. How awesome is that???

The nurses told me to get those alcohol swabs and try that. I had a bunch of those glue circles from leads at the heart monitor. Pretty sight. It eventually came off with vigorous towel rubbing after the shower. Hated that darned machine. Every single time you moved, beepbeepbeepbeep. Idiotic.

Then the machine is right behind your head looming over you like the bad professor at school. Long story short...the hospital gave me too much potassium to even out my electrolytes. Oops. Wound up in intensive care with their dumb mistake.

So, swishing around next week, Flute?

I also had to laugh about the glue. Alcohol wipes works wonders. But I now use adhesive remover wipes because my ostomy products. They leave glue residue everywhere.

I do hope in a weeks time you'll be able to go in the pool, sounds like fun. Debbie

I'lI'll try the alcohol finger wipes on that glue. I keep finding new and hidden place they stuck all those electrodes over the past few months. l will try the therapy pool again next week mostly for the social element and getting out of the house. I can't do arm swimming movements with the left arm for another 5 weeks. My left forearm is getting sore from disuse so I'm starting to use 2 lb. weights and not lift over the shoulder. The representative from Boston Scientific called me this morning to answer a bunch of questions I Emailed to him. He said the doctor that saw me on Monday loved my humor and was still laughing when he left work. The rep says I am their pacemaker "poster child". I think a job that didn't involve surgery might have been more welcome. FYI blood sugars were better today - down to 85 before a meal. The body must be recuperating.

max9821 replied to flutetooter's response:
No no no. I tried scrubbing those sticky circles with soap and water and rubbing with alcohol until my skin was red and sore. Then the tech who put on my holter monitor told me to clean it off with ordinary cooking oil. I do not eat any kind of oil but there is a small bottle in my cupboard in case I have anymore sticky stuff to remove. It works wonders.

didi

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.