Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Novolog vs. Humalog
Tenchu40 posted:
Recently Medco (my mail order pharmacy) stopped carrying Novolog and my doctor has written me a prescription for Humalog. The nurse compared them to Pepsi and Coke. Has anyone recently switched between the two? If so, have you noticed any kind of difference? I'm worried my ratios may not carryover exactly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

nutrijoy responded:
Humalog (Eli Lilly) and Novolog (Novo Nordisk) are both rapid acting insulin analogs. They are virtually interchangeable in most patients. However, a not insignificant number of patients have reported that Humalog seems to be absorbed slightly faster in their bodies so that the onset of action is somewhat faster. The difference in most cases is less than ten minutes but should be taken into consideration if you have an elevated sensitivity to blood sugar lows. Many patients circumvent the potential problem by simply injecting the Humalog at the time they start eating (or even during or immediately after) their meals instead of the more typical procedure of injecting the insulin ten to fifteen minutes before a meal. A reasonably good article that explores the differences between the two insulin analogs can be found on the Medscape website. It covers both sides of the coin since each of us is somewhat unique and YMMV (your mileage may vary).

auriga1 responded:
The nurse gave you a good analogy with the Pepsi to Coke comparison.

The Humalog does have a faster onset than the Novolog. I always took my Humalog right after a meal because I am never sure if I will eat all of the carbs that are on my plate. Many times I do not finish, so for me, it's better to take the insulin after rather than a set amount with the carbs I thought I would eat right before my meal. Again, it is best for me.

I don't know how your insulin regimen is. My doctor gave a carb to insulin ratio of 1 unit to every 12 grams of carbs.

There are many people out there who have gone back and forth between the two, mostly due to insurance purposes. My own insurance has put Humalog on the a list as the "non-preferred" insulin, meaning a much higher copay. I switched to over-the-counter insulin, Novolin R made by Nordisk, available at WalMart.

uffda2 responded:
Though Humalog and Novolog are very similar for most users, they may be slightly different for some individuals. So when you switch it is best to check your BG a little more often at first. You might want to do a test to see if your old ratios hold up. I switched from Humalog to Novolog last year due to insurance coverage and found that whereas I used an I:C ratio of 1:7 for Humalog, 1:8 worked better for me with Novolog. Others find exactly the opposite, that Humalog is slightly stronger for them.

indica replied to uffda2's response:

Is that really true that Humalog is stronger than hovolog

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.