Skip to content
Scary glucose reading
jbeyes posted:
Have type 2 diabetes. Don't check my glucose level every day; 6 days a week should be enough.

Just got a scary reading: 255

First time my meter has shown me a number over 200.

What do you recommend I do?

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

Exercise if you are able. Drink lots of water. Mostly, follow a healthy diet that focuses more on lean proteins, dairy, vegetables and less on starches. Also, you see your doctor for proper treatment asap.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

auriga1 responded:
Evaulate what you are eating. Too many carbs and not enough exercise result in higher readings.

You don't say when you checked your BS. Was it fasting in the a.m.? Two hours after a meal? Before bed? Random?

preshrunk responded:
Please call your doc!

You will feel awful once you get over 200 and really bad the higher you go and not be able ti think clearly.

I know this for a fact!

It happened to me!

Now I am getting off insulin on Ornish Spectrum Program (not quite but a close cigar!)

indica replied to preshrunk's response:
why?

preshrunk replied to indica's response:
What are you asking why about, the question is unclear?

brunosbud responded:
When you have Type 2 Diabetes, you can (& will) get confused, at times, especially in the responses to questions you ask from healthcare pros and other diabetics, too. What I like about my glucometer is it does not lie. There's no ambiguity in the information. It's fast, clear and honest, every time. I learned, early on, that as long as I made sensible decisions and "adjustments" based on the "truth" my meter shared, I did not have to rely or get confused by what others told me. Besides, what two diabetics react the same way about anything?

Controlling diabetes is like parking your car at the supermarket. lol Some folks prefer the closest space, possible, then worry, later, about how to back out without getting into an accident. But, others say, I'll park where there's no cars around...That way, I'll never have to worry about hittin' nuthin' when I leave. In other words, do you want to spend your time learning how to lower high readings. Or, would you rather dedicate your efforts to practicing habits that keep your blood sugar readings low, all the time

A high reading of 255 without "context" (you share nothing) is impossible to assess, imo. Thus, I won't try. Just understand that your glucometer can be the most powerful and trusted friend and guide you'll ever have. That's the best "recommendation" I can give to anyone with diabetes. That, and daily exercise...

preshrunk replied to indica's response:
Bruno2bob (did I get hte same right) explained part of my reason for saying call your doc.

A DM Type II who has an explained cbg of over 200 for the first time, may be having trouble and need the doc to do something higher on the scale of intervention (from lifestyle to oral medicine, oral medicine to injected medicine etc) but only the physician will know.

But the doc can't know if you don't call!

preshrunk replied to preshrunk's response:
Sorry, I meant to say unexplained cbg over 200 for the first time should call doc!

Not an emergency but should go in for office check,

It is a change in your pattern for the worse.

Explainations include dehydration, sudden heat, too much sugar, getting sick missing sleep too many nights in a row.

Unplanned changes for the better can also be a problem.

Any you should also call your doc unless you planned to lose weight or started an exercise program etc

Only your doc can tell if there is a problem but if you don't call how will she or he know?\

Preshrunk

ivy4u responded:
you need to start by checking your blood sugar several times every day. This will help you to understand why your reading was high. It could be a number of things as to why this happens or it could even be something as simple as you eating the wrong thing. If it continues I would definitely get to your doctor and have them check you out.

preshrunk replied to ivy4u's response:
If s/he is on Medicare will need a script for more test strips!

They now only give exactly enough of each for tests and if you spoil one or a lancet breaks there is no getting more!

Also if you are on insulin (now down to 2 shots long acting, half the dose I was taking and I needed fast acting before each meal) the new BD nano needles do not always work (metal remaining in bore?) and they count these too!

Also count begins when pickup from pharmacy and or delivered in the mail, not the day filled!

ACA penny wise and pound very, very, very foolish!

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.