Skip to content
Was Diagnosed With Pre-Diabetes
rhalld38 posted:
I was diagnosed with prediabetes about a month ago and was shocked to find out this information. My glucose results were not very high and my A1C was at 6.0 which the doctor felt I should be on Metfomin 500mg twice a day. I talked to my pastor about this and he was very helpful of course in talking to me about this. I don't like the fact I was diagnosed with prediabetes but I thank God that it is not type 2 diabetes or I have to take insulin. I have keeping physically active and keeping my weight down as well on a vegeterian diet. I have been referred to go to diabetic classes which I hope start soon for me. I have also had my eyes checked and thank God again the eye doctor did not find anything wrong with my eyes but I do have to wear glasses because I have trouble sometimes seeing words up close.

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

I would strongly recommend you do your research and learn all you can about Type 2 Diabetes. To start, here is a link to the WebMD Diabetes Health Center: http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/default.htm

No one likes to be diagnosed with a serious disease. Not all Type 2 Diabetics take insulin. The first and best way to control this disease is with a lifestyle change, Exercise more, lose weight if you need to, and eat a healthy diet that focuses more on vegetables, lean proteins, lean dairy and much less on starches. A pre-diabetic who does not make the needed lifestyle changes will soon become fully diabetic.

Oral medications of many types are available and can help for years. Some people never need oral medications, some do but never need insulin, but some do eventually need insulin to control their blood glucose levels. ALL diabetics need to make the necessary lifestyle changes to try and avoid the serious consequences that uncontrolled diabetes can cause.

Keep doing your research. Keep as active as possible. Keep a positive attitude.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

rhalld38 replied to davedsel2's response:
Thanks dave,
I have been keeping an positive about this because of my faith in God as well as help from a diabetic who is a friend and a coworker. I'm actually looking forward in attending the diabetic class that my doctor is referring me to. With that it is a good start as well as coming here to this discussion board. Thanks.

betatoo replied to rhalld38's response:
As Dave says, starches! My Dr. told me to drop all white starches. In the end I have dropped white and now eat very little of the whole grain-brown or orange starches. I look at my disease as being starch intolerant. I exercise eat mostly veggies and lean protein, and use nuts for snacks. No medication as of yet numbers around 5.8/82

glucerna replied to betatoo's response:
It's great that you're being so proactive about taking care of your health rhall38. I'm sure you'll learn a lot in the diabetes class. You mention that you follow a vegetarian diet, and you'll find the information on a vegetarian meal plan for people with diabetes helpful: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/meal-planning-for-vegetarians/ ~Lynn @Glucerna

rhalld38 replied to glucerna's response:
Thanks for all the replies. Robert.

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.