Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dean Ornish Spectrum simply
An_255688 posted:
Hi,

I posed this in a thread last night but believe it was lost.

I am duplicating Ornish Spctrum slowly in my own community by:

Eating a vegan diet (I will post meals if someone asks)

Love and support

Meditation (prayer)

Gentle execise like yoga,pilates, or Tai Chi or Akido.

I studied this stuff in books before I got sick, so I can share simply and fast.

And I have some great recipes.

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

You may post anything you like in these forums as long as they do not go against the Terms of Use.

Be aware that all programs like this are controversial and you may incite lively dialogue. Be aware, also, that this is a public website read by thousands each day. Be sure to substantiate your opinions and give links to verified studies and results regarding any program you are discussing.

I must ask why you are posting anonymously? You would come across as more genuine and trustworthy if you use your username. Not a criticism, just a fact that I have observed after over a decade of membership and participation in the WebMD communities.

I look forward to reading more of your posts.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

flutetooter replied to davedsel2's response:
dave, "preshrunk" started posting recently and mentioned this program, so I assume it is from that person.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

indica replied to flutetooter's response:
I just stared right now

preshrunk replied to flutetooter's response:
Yes, preshrunk posted this and I am new to this forum (webmd) but not all forums on internet.

My name is preshrunk, it is my way of saying I am resilient!

I am referring to Dean Ornish, MD;s new program on his website www.ornishspectrum.com, it is also a book and a cook book. I believe but do not know the medical reference for this work and there will be many more, that is how academic medicine works, came out in JAMA last year.

I have several health challenges, starting with a weird form of Lupus, followed by gaining weight from prednisone, then not being able to exercise and became DM II back in 2007.

I gave up and was noncompliant with my docs, did not check cbgs or give myself insulin,

Then enough changed in my life and I started to get better,

Now eating a vegan diet, getting love and support, gentle exercise (I have too much ostoporosis and arthritis to do yoga, I do pilates), and mediaition and I am getting well.

But the Ornish spectrum program foods are flexible!

The healthiest foods are what I eat, but all foods are allowed.

As I understand it, the program is designed to help you feel better no matter what you eat, as you start eating more healthy food, you feel better and you eat healthier food!

davedsel2 replied to preshrunk's response:
Preshrunk,

Thank you for identifying yourself and for further explaining your approace. I love your user name!

I fully understand as I am disabled with serious spinal problems. Walking to the bathroom is difficult most days, so exercising is a challenge. I stay as active as I can and am working hard to stay out of the wheelchair the neurosurgeon said I would be in 5 years ago.

I've often thought of a vegan lifestyle. I do like meat and dairy very much so it would be very drastic. My family and I are focusing on moderation and portion control right now rather than a specific plan.

I look forward to more posts from you and other member's replies.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

betatoo replied to davedsel2's response:
Hear your pain folks, I too had problems with back years ago. I was hit by a tractor trailer on while driving from college to work. Pulled all of the ribs out of the sternum, fractured two vertebrae in the back, herniated two discs, and broke out part of my lft eye socket. Told never to lift weights, never gain weight, not to exercise too much, and had to wear a back brace for 3 years and a chest constrictor for 2 years. I had days into my 50's where the only way to get out of bed was to move legs off of bed and let their weight lever me up.
Four years afterward I gave up on dr. orders started exercising, working out to strengthen back muscles and gut. Kept doing it, got into ceramics and could throw 25# of clay on the wheel on a good day. Today, back troubles gone, as they left in late 50's for some reason-not to be missed.

flutetooter replied to betatoo's response:
Wow, after reading this, suddenly I have no problems at all in comparison. ...and my piccolo is a whole lot less than 25 lbs.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

indica responded:
What is one of your great recipes

preshrunk replied to indica's response:
Okay Here goes, I was writing a cookbook before I got sick and I guess I am losing the copyright!

Cathryn's California Waldorf Salad
Main Ingredients Black beans (fresh cooked or canned and well rinsed) 3 or 4 cups** Green apple — 1 lg. Granny Smith or 2 or 3 smaller tart green apples, chopped, not pealed 2 or 3 small zucchini, sliced in circles then cut into wedges 1 medium tomato chopped 1 medium red onion finely chopped Optional: 1 or 2 small yellow crocked neck squash Walnuts**
chopped dried apricots*
Dressing Mix equal parts Apricot (Peach is sweeter but works) All Fruit Preservatives* (Trader Joe's or Pollander) and Mild Salsa (Rosartia or Old El Paso work best) Usually All Fruit comes in 6 oz. jars so I used ? cups of each
Directions
Mix all ingredients and toss with dressing

* taking dried apricots and blending them with water is a really good food processor might be healthier and give a better "mouth feel" than all fruit but I just thought of it and do not have what I need to check it out.

I hope you love it as much as my friends used to and I still do.

Preshrunk

preshrunk replied to betatoo's response:
I was told by some "really" brilliant neurosurgeon to go to bed and stay there!

The result, much worse kypohosis/scoliosic and a totally de=conditioned body.

Also I have been in extreme pain since 2 weeks before I graduated from college at age 23 (just turned 57).

I have a couple of really good docs and they are working with me so I regain control of my health.

But boy do I have a long way to go, but I have already come so very far!

In 2007 I was half dead from an auto-immune disease in my brain, newly diagnosed DM type !!, and in agony.

I had been writing my doctoral dissertation when everything feel apart, the stress of that was the final straw.

My whole life this has been my antherm:

We never know how high we are
'til we are asked to raise.
And then if we are true to plan
Our statures touch the skies.
This heroism that I cite
Would be a normal thing,
If not ourselves
The cubits warp
In fear to be a king!

The collected works of Emily Dickenson,

Presrunk

preshrunk replied to davedsel2's response:
My computer did not pick up your story, I am sorry.

It is broken, being disabled I have no one to fix it, and I am not doing all that well fixing it myself.

It is slowly getting where it needs to be, just like me.

Preshrunk refers to fabric, cotton specifically, yarn

Also the fact that I lost a lot of weight (95 lbs in 9 months) about 24 years ago.

I really lost hope and balooned up much higher, and have lost 115, but do not know my new goal since I have osteoporosis and am 2 inches shorter now.

And it refers to being in psychotherapy

And it refers to my ego which was humbled by getting sick,

And know you all know everything important about me, except that I now want to write stories that will help people, and cook wonderful food, dance once again and live!

Preshrunk

preshrunk replied to preshrunk's response:
Update:

I saw PT yesterday and we refined my Pilates routine.

My weight is stable by the scale but I am definately gaining muscle mass and losing fat.

How did you like my recipe?

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 6 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.