Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Newly Diagnosed Borderline Diabetic
hhs1996 posted:
my dr recently diagnosed me as a borderline diabetic but my a1c siad 151

flutetooter responded:
I think your name is Kelly by clicking on your post name and bringing up last years posts "Help. I think I have diabetes". What changes did you make in your lifestyle/ diet/ exercise/ medications/ doctor visits/ research at that time to prevent diabetes? Or did you just go on as usual and wait a year to see if it were true?

In any case, you probably need a lot more information to understand what you are facing. Start with clicking on Michael Dansinger, MD "expert" at the top right of this page. There is a weath of information there. What led you doctor to diagnose you are a prediabetic? The are set number categories for fasting sugars, A1c's, and high random numbers to indicate Pre or full blown diabetes. A1c's come in numbers like 4.8, 5.6, 9.2, 13.0, Etc. 151 sounds like a number on the glucose monitor. Was that number taken fasting, after a meal, when? Are you saying that number would qualify you as a full blown diabetic? It may or may not depending on when it was taken, and whether there were more recorded numbers in that range. Has your doctor given you a program to follow or meds? I don't quite understand what you are asking in your post. There is a lot you can do to minimize the effects of diabetes and this is the time to begin. Keep posting and tell us your story.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

hhs1996 replied to flutetooter's response:
meant my a1c test results came back as 5.1

glucerna replied to hhs1996's response:
Usually prediabetes is diagnosed with an A1c of 5.7-6.4. Be sure to talk with your doctor about the diagnosis and what steps she recommends you take to achieve the best possible health. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Michael Dansinger, MD responded:
Hi. We'd like to offer more help. Please let us know more about your situation. Is your A1c 5.1%? Have you had elevated blood sugar readings? Are you concerned about your diabetes risk? Do you think weight loss could play a potential role in preventing diabetes? What do you do for your eating and exercise?
What have you read about diabetes?

Thank you,
Michael Dansinger, MD

Helpful Tips

peripheral neuropathy
When peripheral neuropathy first started for me, I tried the prescription drug neurontin; it was mildly effective, but the side effects ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 7 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.