Skip to content
Any Suggestions/Comments
rhalld38 posted:
I get people telling me who are either a diabetic or people telling me not to be on Metformin for what I was diagnosed with prediabetes which my fasting blood glucose was only 104 and my A1C is at 6.0. Now of course my doctor prescribed the Metformin which he prescribed 500mg twice a day and to check my blood only once a day. I'm not asking for someone here to make decisions for me but being newly diagnosed with just prediabetes any suggestions. I told my doctor that I was just going to take care of the prediabetes with exercise and diet. I also told him that I was taken myself off of the Metformin. He suggested against that even though I said that I was going to take vitamin supplements instead.

dianer01 responded:
Hi rhalld38,

Help me understand this better. You went to the doctor and he prescribed a medication for you based upon lab results and you have decided to not take the medication but to take a vitamin supplement instead? Does the supplement do the same thing as the medication? Probably not, but then again I am not a doctor and not qualified to make that decision. Are you?

That said, you are at a turning point and if you are truly going to educate yourself about a better diet, then stick to it along with a suitable exercise program you may be able to bring your numbers into a better range without the medication.

Talk to your doctor and set some goals to see if you are able to bring down your A1C without the meds. Some people are able to do so. If your doctor is not willing to talk to you and make this a collaborative effort, it may be time to look for another doctor who will.

What you haven't told us and could make a world of difference is are you at high risk for heart or kidney disease, obese or have other significant health issues...

something to think about...
accelerate out of the corners

glucerna replied to dianer01's response:
Your doctor is following the latest guidelines for treating prediabetes. We used to ignore prediabetes, but now we know that treating prediabetes aggressively and early can help delay or prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes. Taking metformin and at the same time making changes in your food choices, eating habits, and exercise are the best ways to control blood sugar levels now and promote a healthy life. Plus, it's not uncommon for people who make lifestyle changes to need less medication, or sometimes even no medication. This article has the latest guidelines: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/#steps ~Lynn @Glucerna

auriga1 responded:
A person without a diagnosis of diabetes will have a reading of fasting at 80-85. Your fasting number and A1C are indicative of something not within the norm.

"Just" prediabetes is more than "just." If you can get your numbers and A1C within the non-diabetic range with diet and exercise, that is wonderful. Many can and do so. The KEY is that you will have to maintain this healthy lifestyle in order for your numbers to remain in the normal range.

Vitamin supplements do not take the place of any medication. Ask your doctor to give you some time to do what you need to do to bring your numbers down.

Do some research in what you should be eating to bring your numbers down. Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. Most of our foods contain carbohydrates except for your proteins and fats. Look at nutrition labels on all packaged foods. Pay attention to the TOTAL CARBOHYDRATE line. Look at the ingredient list. High fructose corn syrup hides in many ingredient lists where you would least expect it to.

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

You are at a crossroads with your health. You can deny the medication with proven results or try the vitamin supplements that probably will not work. Exercise and healthy diet are vital to control Diabetes but many people do need the additional help of prescription medication(s).

Follow your doctor's advice and change your lifestyle and you have an excellent chance of controlling and even possibly reversing this disease. Ignore your doctor's advice and risk the chance of your disease never being controlled and causing serious health complications like heart attack or stroke.

I urge you to consider your future path on your road to health.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

brunosbud responded:
Your fasting blood glucose was 104. But, that was after not eating for 10 -12 hrs? What do you think your blood sugar is just after you eat breakfast? Or, 2 hrs after you eat? Or, after you watch reruns of "Friends" just after dinner? Or, after you finish off the last Klondike in the freezer before bed? Or, at 2:30AM when you're fast asleep?

The A1C is an estimate of the average blood glucose for roughly the last 90 days: Yours is 6.0

That equates to Estimated Average Blood Glucose of:

126. That means you may have lows in the 90s or 100s but you could have highs in the 180s or 200s..& beyond.

Is that safe, rhalld38?

Personally, I'd cut a deal with the doctor to hold off on the meds while I worked on making a few changes in my life, most notably, diet, exercise & weight loss (if needed). The only difference is, I know that a 126 avg is not safe...& you don't.

Work hard, work fast, my friend. Good luck!

rhalld38 replied to brunosbud's response:
I thank you all for your advice. I something that I did not mention, not overweight, my weight now is 175 lbs. and have been on a vegetarian diet for about 6 months now. I don't eat sweets, sometimes I might have a couple of cookies. I checked my blood this afternoon, before I ate, it was at 97 and that is without taking the Metformin. I do thank you all once again for your advice. And I do exercise, I do Taebo and when the weather finally gets nice I will go jogging. God Bless!

glucerna replied to rhalld38's response:
It's great that you're exercising regularly and it sounds like you're eating a healthy diet. Not everyone who has prediabetes is overweight and sedentary. Use this diagnosis to do even more to protect your health and you're on the right path. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.