Skip to content
hypoglycemia unawareness
juliem1964 posted:
hi everyone. my name is Julie. I have been type 1 since 1998. turning the BIG 5-0 on sunday. I have had hypoglycemia unawareness for quite a long time now, I have been on an insulin pump since 2006. I am curious to see if anyone has this experience also. my son and my husband both have had to call the ambulance because I have gone into a diabetic seizure because of my body not creating the symptoms for lows. one time I woke up in the emergency room after recovering and asked my husband where were my bottom teeth(I wear dentures). is hypoclycemia unawareness a form of nerve damage? any help would be appreciated. thanks!

mrscora01 responded:
Hypoglycemic unawareness occurs when you spend too much time too low. There are other factors in that some folks are more susceptible to getting it, but it happens most often when your body gets used to the lows and starts ignoring them.

If you don't mind my asking, what have your a1cs been? Do/did you go low often? In some people, running high (consistently) for a month or so can help to bring the signals back. But most folks don't want to do this because they are simply unwilling to run high for a while (although certainly not long enough to cause any damage).

Interestingly enough, hypounawareness is one of only 2 qualifiers for a pancreas transplant (kidney failure/transplant is the other). With a new pancreas you wouldn't go low and would get used to steady glucose levels. But you will be trading one set of problems for another potential set of problems (anti-rejection drug side effects).

Hope this helps a bit.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.