Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Rising Numbers
nvnanna posted:
Has anybody ever experienced their glucose numbers raise while using Lantus or Humalog?

auriga1 responded:
I have not.

Lantus is a basal insulin at work 24 hours a day. It should be taken about the same time each day to keep the blood sugar within normal range. It takes time to figure out the proper dosage for one's system. I started out at 15U per day. My blood sugar did not come into range until I reached 40U per day. I was working with my doctor reporting to him my blood glucose readings. Had to keep a written journal of all my test results, testing 8 times a day.

Humalog is a rapid-acting insulin designed to be taken with meals. Many patients are prescribed a rapid-acting insulin because their blood sugar rises when they eat carbs. The Humalog counteracts this.

My first A1C was 13.2 and it is now 5.6 with the use of the two insulins, proper diet and most important for me is physical activity. With the physical activity, I have had to use less insulin.

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.