Skip to content
Diabetes
raul56 posted:
I have a fasting blood glucose 102 with A1C 6.6. Am I considered diabetic?

dazed44 responded:
You are considered borderline diabetic,be cautious about your diet,and exercise in this instance you have control. Posteddazed44

glucerna responded:
Please talk about these lab results with your doctor. The American Diabetes guidelines on diagnosing diabetes and prediabetes, plus what to do if you have one of these diagnoses, is at http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diagnosis/ ~Lynn @Glucerna

raul56 replied to glucerna's response:
Thank you for your response. The VA Medical Center where I am being treated states this as being diabetic and have prescribed me Metformin. I have not taken any awaiting my next test which they will not do until 3 months have passed. I am on a strict diet and have gone from 235 lbs to 227 lbs in 1 month. Hopefully this will bring down my glucose and A1C levels. I am 5'6" tall and in 2010 I underwent triple by-pass surgery. At the time of my heart attack, I was weighing 160 lbs.

flutetooter replied to raul56's response:
Please be aware that diabetes will not "go away" just because you lose weight. It depends on how many carbohydrates you eat in relation to your fats and proteins and weight and activity level (as well as many other factors including heredity!). Diabetes is a disease in which your body ,for many reasons, cannot process and handle sugars and starches normally.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

betatoo replied to flutetooter's response:
As flute says, diabetes is with you now forever. It means major life style changes from the traditional American diet of meat and potatoes or any other diet that is higher in starches. So it is time to push away from the table, and get moving. Time to drop the white starches in your diet, cut back on the orange and brown starches and load up on leafy veggies and others. Exercise everyday, get good sleep at night and watch your food.

On an aside, I am T2, no meds, dx in 2009. No family history, not overweight. Just went to see dr. for the 6 month, A1C was 5.9, fasting was 99. Not great for normal, but good for a diabetic. Oh yeah, since dx have gone from 170 to 145 on a 5'9" male frame.

glucerna replied to betatoo's response:
Thanks for letting us know how you're doing raul56. It's great that you're making changes in your food choices and are losing weight. As one of my colleagues likes to say about diabetes: agressive, aggressive, aggressive treatment early, early, early. By that she means the more changes made early on, the better overall long-term health you'll achieve. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
120 of 171 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.