Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Diabetes
raul56 posted:
I have a fasting blood glucose 102 with A1C 6.6. Am I considered diabetic?

bigred53 responded:
In my opinion you are. The A1c is a better marker of average blood glucose that a daily fasting test. Talk to your doctor and get a referral to diabetic classes and come here often.

The first thing my doctor told me was no 'white' food - potatoes, rice, bread or pasta. There really is no food you can't eat, you just have to be moderate - less starchy, high carbohydrate foods and more leafy, green vegetables with lean protein and fat free dairy.

Learn as much as you can about diabetes too, either here or other sites. You will be fine.

Michelle

auriga1 responded:
A1c of 6.6 would be an average of a blood glucose reading of 138 on a daily basis. Average of readings for three months. One day you could be lower, one day you could be higher.

A non-diabetic averages a fasting of 85 on any given day. Non-diabetic range of A1c is 4.0 to 6. Six is at the high end.

There are new guidelines also that one's fasting in the a.m. should be 70-100.

Have you asked your doctor this question?

This is a forum mostly made up of diabetics. There is no one here on this site that makes any type of diagnosis.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.