Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
One-Time Elavated HbAC1; always normal glucose measurements thereafter
jpv04 posted:
About 4 years ago, I went to the doctor with a headache. As a precaution, he tested my glucose (82 -- 2 hours after a snack) and did the HbAC1 test (5.7 -- he said this was in the upper range of normal for his lab). Since then, I periodically take my blood sugar (morning/afternoon/night & either 2 or 4 hours after eating). The observed values are always between 80-92 which I have read are normal.

Do I have anything to worry about?

brunosbud responded:
Depends whether you believe you have diabetes. If you do, I wouldn't worry...

davedsel2 responded:
While your numbers are in the "normal" range, you need to also consider family history. Does anyone else in your immediate family have or had Diabetes? You also need to consider your lifestyle. Do you exercise? Are you overweight? Are you eating a healthy diet?

As bronosbud said, if you are Diabetic then you don't need to worry as you are in very good control. Continue doing what you are doing. If not Diabetic, then look at the other factors. Whatever your family history, if you maintain a healthy lifestyle then you have a good chance of at least prolonging getting the disease or possible preventing it entirely.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

glucerna replied to davedsel2's response:
I think it's great that you and your doctor are on top of the possibility of developing diabetes. The current guidelines recommend accumulating 60 minutes of exercise/physical activity every day, eating a healthy diet, and maintaining a healthy weight. Doing these things not only helps prevent diabetes, it also promotes an overall healthy life. ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.