Skip to content
diabetes 2 and water retention
daveplenderleath posted:
I'm a 77 yr old male with type 2 diabetes and I have water retention I'm taking a natural diuretic and the liquid is leaking through my legs causeing the skin to peel away in places on my legs and on one place on one of my legs there is a inverted pore plus there is a lot of pain.I'am urinating but there is more liquid coming out of my legs and the swelling is going down.I only take about 5 cups of water each day should I take more?Can someone explain what is happening and what I can do about it especially the pain?
mrscora01 responded:
Dave, you absolutely need to see a doctor. The fluid issues could be caused by kidney issues, heart issues, or something else equally serious.

Be careful with "natural" diuretics. They often contain unusual substaces. Unregulated, or sometimes other, cheap, prescription medications which can interact.

How are your glucose levels and also your blood pressure? These will affect you also.

T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008
auriga1 responded:
You really do need to see a doctor ASAP. There are many causes for water retention, none of which are too pretty. Mrs. Cora mentioned a few. Chronic liver disease and arial fibrillation come to mind. I have experienced water retention myself and was prescribed Lasix and compression stockings.

Please call your doctor.

Helpful Tips

Different glucose meters
I used a accu check nano for 2 years and recently had to switch to a one touch verio due to insurance plan. The readings went up by 33%. ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 9 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.