Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Moody
texasnana63 posted:
My husband has had diabetis for several years and until recently he has gotten very moody, angry and blames me or he will say why do I always blame him for everything. I am getting very depressed trying to deal with him, and he says there is nothing wrong with him that its me. Can someone please give me some advice

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

You need to discuss this with your husband and then perhaps his doctor. Is he managing his diabetes well? Has there been any recent changes to his medication? Communicate with your husband no matter how difficult it is to see if you can find out what is causing this moodiness.

I pray you can get this resolved soon.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

nutrijoy responded:
Nana, it may be of comfort to you to know that you are not alone. There is a link between diabetes and mood swings but it is a variable that is difficult to isolate and pin down. The posts at this HealthCentral link date back to 2007 with the most recent comment posted March 3, 2014. Perhaps it may help broaden your knowledge that diabetes and mood swings are not uncommon. Two articles that have been helpful to others in your situation can be found at WiseGeek and ArticlesBase . Of course, there are also dozens of other, more technical articles available online but the two that I have hyperlinked provide easier to understand discussions instead of formal, scientific studies that may be peppered with gobbledygook. By all means discuss the matter with your husband (but not during one of his mood swings) and possibly his doctor. It might also be helpful if he were to test his blood sugar levels more frequently to determine if fluctuating levels are a factor. Hope you find this to be helpful.

Anon_320 responded:
Although there may be a connection between your husband's moodiness and his diabetes, please don't rule out other possibilities. As Dave said, it could be a medication, or it could be any number of other things, including the early stages of dementia or a UTI.

Maybe you could talk to his doctor and ask the doctor's office to call your husband and tell him it's time for him to go in for a checkup. You might have more luck that way than if you try to talk him into going for a checkup.

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
71 of 142 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.