Skip to content
Blood Sugar Question
mikko70 posted:
I have Type 2 Diabetes. This week I've been trying to watch my diet and started walking for about 15-20 each morning. My blood sugar has been lower than usual, around 118 - 140; assuming it was down because of the walking? However, yesterday it was 118 and this morning reading before eating or drinking anything and before my walk, it was 173!!! When I returned from walk, took it again and it had shot up again to 186!!! I did eat breakfast n coffee after the walk.

What made my blood sugar shoot up so much higher than first part of the week? Nothing really changed in my diet since Sunday?

brunosbud responded:
My body reacts to any source of irritation or inflammation in a very noticeable way: blood sugar spikes. Common causes would be an oncoming cold...Exposure to certain pollen (unfortunately)...Whenever I take advil...If I move some heavy boxes or furniture the previous day...When I had difficulty sleeping the night before...Whenever my wife is having a particularly bad day...When I have one drink, too many...Whenever I eat spicy chinese. It's funny how people search for new places to dine, every weekend, but know better than to dare change the brand of dog food they've been buying for years. If you want to get a simple demonstration of "inflammation", in action, just change your dog's kibble, cold turkey. You'll be cleaning "inflammation" off the carpets, next morning, guaranteed. Changing to a healthy lifestyle is good, provided, you stop changing, anything, after that.

glucerna replied to brunosbud's response:
I love your examples brunosbud. mikko70 it's great that you've started walking and testing your blood sugar. Are you also paying attention to the amount of carbohydrate that you're eating at meals and snacks? That can also affect blood sugar levels, and the more information you have, the better you'll be able to find a routine that works well for you.You're making a really good start at managing your blood sugar. ~Lynn @Glucerna

whitsticker responded:
My blood sugar used to do the same thing in the mornings and following exercise when I had a pre-exercise blood sugar below 100. The issue is called Dawn Phenomenon.

Talk to your dietitian or physician regarding the right ratio of carbs/fat/protein for your evening meal and/or snack. These combinations will obviously change as you lose weight and develop more muscle. Eventually (9 months after starting the diet and 80lbs lighter) my physician removed me from the diabetes medications altogether. I am now diet controlled only - AND LOVING IT!

It took a week for my body to adjust, being off the medication and for me to find the right ratio of food to keep my blood sugar between 95 and 115. I was testing my blood every upon rising and then every two hours throughtout the day until bedtime (at least 4 hours after my last meal). Once I found the right combination of foods, I now eat 6 meals a day and consume foods based on my anticipated physical activity.

P.S. I eat mostly vegetarian-style with perhaps one or two meals a week containing chicken breasts. Complex carbs are my new best friends!

profecting responded:
What did you ear before bed? Did you take your meds correctly? Y might have eaten too much.

eaglehawk responded:
I have had diabetes for 30 years. Probably the most important thing I've learned is what brybisbyd said. ???? and sometimes its because the fly on the wall P-ssed you off. If you tested soon after you ate no wonder. I test regularly 5 to 5 1/2 hours after meals or snacks before main meals. My A1C is at 7 to 7.5, perfect for me at 76. I'm on Lantus 18 units and metformin. Don't sweat the occasional high of 180 or even 200. The reason can be that fly on the wall???? Also read up on the Dawn effect. I sure wish this site were here 30 years ago. Or computers for that matter Stay informed and aware my friend that's the most important thing. OH and relax.

norreal replied to whitsticker's response:
I think frequency of meals is also important. I have found improvements with two snacks between three daylight hour meals plus two snacks between dinner and breakfast, something to write home about.

glucerna replied to norreal's response:
I'm curious about the two snacks between dinner and breakfast. Could you tell us more about the timing of those snacks and what you typically eat? Just like so much in diabetes, there isn't one plan that works for everyone, and hearing about the various methods people use to maintain good blood sugar control can be really helpful. Thanks! ~Lynn @Glucerna

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.