Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weight loss surgery
Anon_475 posted:
Has anyone any experience of this? My doctor is suggesting it and I'm trying to find out as much as possible before going back to discuss with her.

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

WebMD has a very good Weight Loss Surgery Health Center here: http://www.webmd.com/diet/weight-loss-surgery/default.htm

To my knowledge, few regular members in this WebMD Diabetes Community have had the surgery. However, being that this is a public message board you may get some replies from people who do not post regularly here.

I am and have been considering gastric sleeve surgery. The key is that the surgery is only a tool. A full lifestyle change is still required for long-term success.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

glucerna replied to davedsel2's response:
Dave, you state what many people don't want to hear: bariatric surgery is only a tool, and lifestyle change is still required. Most bariatric surgery programs host regular free information sessions where you can find out what is involved in the surgery, what needs to be accomplished before the surgery, and what to expect in terms of diet and lifestyle changes after surgery. The follow-up is key to monitor both health and lifestyle. The Obesity Society is a professional group for physicians, researchers and other health professionals and they have good consumer information here: http://www.obesity.org/resources-for/consumer.htm ~Lynn @Glucerna

Anon_475 replied to davedsel2's response:
Thank you, Dave. I agree with it being just a tool. I have been learning healthier eating and exercise habits via Weightwatchers for the last year and have lost nearly 50lbs. I feel that, until I get my eatring habits established, there is no point going for surgery ... My doctor feels that I am not losing weight fast enough, that I am in my mid-fifties and that time is running out to get the surgery done, etc.

Anon_475 replied to glucerna's response:
Thank you, Lynn, for this information

davedsel2 replied to Anon_475's response:
Hello again.

I would encourage you to continue doing what you are doing and not be so concerned with losing weight quickly. How long has it taken you to lose 50 pounds, and how much more do you need to lose? Weight loss is not a sprint but a marathon. It is a life-long process involving a lifestyle change. If you are moving in the right direction it should not matter to your doctor or you how fast you are going.

Weight-loss surgery is a very drastic, serious measure as I am sure you are aware. I am 57 years old and have been about 100 pounds overweight most of my life. Lost it all twice but gained it all back plus each time. I also am working at healthier habits and being more consistent in my efforts.

Remember the turtle and the hare story and that persistence wins the race.

Blessings,

-Dave

Anon_475 replied to davedsel2's response:
Thank you. You have more or less confirmed what I thought. It took me a year for the first 50 (there are good weeks and bad weeks but the curve is definitely a downward one) and have another 100 to go (and I don't feel deprived, nor starved, nor restricted). I feel that taking it at this speed makes it more likely that the weight will stay off (because my body is getting to adapt to it's new morphology) in the long run.

However, I'll continue researching people's experience with the surgery even if it's only to shut the doc up (lol).

Also, my (very positive) endocrinologist mentioned the possibility of weight loss surgery but didn't push it when I explained why I wasn't interested (basically told her what I said above) and I tend to value her opinion more than my family doc's one when it comes to matters of diabetes.

glucerna replied to Anon_475's response:
It's great that you feel good about the changes you made, and feel that you can continue with them long-term. It's always good to know what options are available so that you can make the best decision for your individual situation. Keep up the great work! ~Lynn @Glucerna

betatoo replied to Anon_475's response:
I have seen several folks over the last few years that have had the surgery, lost immense amounts of weight, and then 2-4 years later been back to their old weight or more. Life change is the most important aspect of keeping the weight off with the surgery, and if you don't make that change, why risk your health with a surgery. On the other side of the coin, if you make a life change, do you need surgery?

davedsel2 replied to betatoo's response:
Excellent advice, sir. I also have read about and known many people who have the surgery and gained it all back plus in a few years. This is the reason I have not yet had the surgery - I know my overeating is still based on some serious emotional issues I have not finished resolving yet. I am working on the emotional and the physical and am looking for victor soon.

To the original poster Anon_475: You are doing great. I just want to encourage you again to keep working at your healthy lifestyle. That is what will get you to the finish line.

Blessings,

-Dave

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.