Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A question for the dietitians if I may
debs_bears posted:
Not sure if I can ask but I will.

I have been on this board for 7 yrs, I am a type 2 diabetic in remission. My last A1c was 5.4% April this year. I am not on diabetes meds since 2010 and can only walk for exercise, due to many physical disabilities.

Here's my problem:

I had to have an permanent ileostomy done (2013) and I can no longer eat fiber, wheat products, nuts, fruits and veggies. My diet is high protein, low carbs, and little to no fiber. That doesn't leave much to eat without causing ones sugar to go up.

So are there foods I can eat safely to keep my A1c where it is? Thanks for your help in advance. Debbie
May the Blessings of the Lord be with you always. If you want to know more about me press on my picture. Debbie

glucerna responded:
Debbie, I know it can become frustrating to have to limit your food choices for medical reasons. Your best source of information will be to ask your doctor for a rerferral to an RD in your area. That way she'll be familiar with your medical history and can help you develop the best food plan for your individual needs. It sounds like you're doing really well overall, and I can give you a lot of credit for wanting to maintain optimum health. ~Lynn @Glucerna

debs_bears replied to glucerna's response:
Thanks Lynn I will have to do that.
May the Blessings of the Lord be with you always. If you want to know more about me press on my picture. Debbie

glucerna replied to debs_bears's response:
You're welcome! Let us know what you learn by meeting with an RD. ~Lynn @Glucerna

betatoo responded:
You may find that you will be able to eat some veggies if you cook them longer-yech. However, cooking will break down fiber significantly, so you may be able to eat them. Check with the RN about this.

best,
beta

debs_bears replied to betatoo's response:
Thanks Beta,

Right now I can tolerate very cooked carrots - I do like the raw ones better but I should never eat raw ones again.

I will check into cooked veggies to see which ones I can eat. Debbie

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Eliminating "Popular" Discussions Confusion
WebMD continues to post older (i.e., inactive) discussions under the heading [POPULAR Discussions>. This often triggers fresh responses ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 10 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.