Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Progress...finally
liladieni posted:
Finally, a bit of progress. My A1c, which had jumped from 6.9 to 10.8, is back down to 8.6. Still not where it needs to be, but at least a step in the right direction. I just have to keep working to get it down even more. My doctor has also finally decided to send me to an endo, since I seem to be so hard to get under proper control.

I have been monitoring sugars and carb intake closely to get this measure of success. She still has yet to give me firm guidelines on carb intake, though I have asked...all I get is "keep cutting back". Maybe I'll get some more definite goals with an endo, I don't know. At any rate, I have made some progress to feel good about.

davedsel2 responded:
Hello.

You are making good progress.

ADA standards - as far as I understand - is to strive for a HBA1C less than 7.0, preferably 6.0 or less. You would need to experiment with daily carbohydrate intake to see what would get you to those numbers. I know for me if I stay at 150 grams of carbs or less per day my fasting numbers are in the low 100's, which would translate to a HBA1C within parameters.

Regardless of what type of doctor you see, you are in charge of making your lifestyle changes and getting to your goals. Yes, "keep cutting back", keep track of all you eat and your numbers, and you will eventually enjoy the victory.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

nutrijoy responded:
Although any reduction in blood glucose levels can technically be viewed as "progress," I cannot agree with practitioners who believe that maintaining A1c levels above the "5% club " should be considered as "good" progress. There are plenty of research studies that have established glycation damage begins at blood sugar levels above 110 ng/ml. This post on Jenny Ruhl's BloodSugar101 website documents and contradicts the conventional yardsticks used by many healthcare professionals (dieticians in particular, in my own personal experience) who blindly subscribe to the ADA protocols while accepting the resulting damage that they see in their own patients as the "natural progression" of the disease.

The infographic below compares the ADA protocols (shown on the left) with the much tighter blood glucose control (shown on the right) that reflects my own personal convictions. It is also largely supported by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein and those who advocate that normalizing blood sugar levels in diabetics will prevent complications such as neuropathy, nephropathy, retinopathy, cardiac-related problems, etc.

Note: to view the infographic in it's full size, RIGHT-click on the image (PC only) to view it in a separate tab. You can also select the option to save it to your hard drive and view it using Windows Paint or any other graphic application.

This chapter , from Dr. Berstein's diabetes book, focuses on the basic food groups or, as he puts it, "much of what you've been taught about diet is probably wrong ." You can read a fair number of chapters from Dr. Bernstein's book online for free if you are not acquainted with his teachings.

Yes, you are making progress (any downward trend in blood glucose levels IS progress). However, you need to accelerate the pace of that progress if you wish to avoid (and even reverse) diabetic complications. I speak from my own personal experience, of course, and your mileage may vary (YMMV).
[br>

laura2gemini2 replied to nutrijoy's response:
I believe A1c also is based on type of diabetes as well as age. Older individuals as well as those solely on insulin may need a higher A1c due to the dangers of lows outweighing the highs.

I'm insulin dependent, and my endo does not want my A1c less than 6, because once I start going low its hard to catch.

flutetooter replied to nutrijoy's response:
Hooray for the info again, nutrijoy. My two most used reference books for diabetes are by Dr. Bernstein and Jenny Rule.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.