Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Snacks
barb10562 posted:
Is it better to have a fast carb for a snack or a complex- also how much?

An_255018 responded:
Please define what you mean by "fast carb" and "complex carb".

barb10562 responded:
Simple sugar (fruit)or complex(whole grain crackers).

brunosbud replied to barb10562's response:
I'd eat a fruit. Sure, there's fructose in fruit that will raise blood sugar so any fruit should be eaten in moderation. But, fruit is loaded with vitamins, minerals and fiber that are essentials for a healthy metabolism. Ritz makes a "whole wheat cracker". It's "junk" wrapped in a pretty package...Wouldn't feed it to my pups.

davedsel2 replied to brunosbud's response:
Excellent advice as always, bronosbud. The only thing I would add is some type of lean protein with the fruit for a balanced snack. I also like to eat the edible peel on fruits (apples, pears, etc.) for additional fiber. That could minimize the spike.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

brunosbud replied to davedsel2's response:
The medical community addresses the treatment of diabetes through the manipulation of blood sugar. Thus, we measure "control" through glucometers and A1C. But, I think of diabetes in terms of health status rather than blood sugar. If my health is compromised, my blood sugar may be out of sorts regardless what I eat! When viewed from this perspective, "diet" is just one part of many puzzle pieces in treating diabetes.

Someday, they will make "sleep apnea-meters"..."stress-meters"..."fitness-meters"..."prescription drugs, vitamins and supplements-meters"..."intestinal bacterial flora-meter"..."process food preservatives, unnecessary food colorings and other unpronounceable food additives-meters"..."air quality, pesticides, toxic household chemicals-meters"...and, through these "meters", we'll be able to pinpoint the culprits that are compromising the organs that regulate our blood sugar...the heart, the endocrine system, the liver, the kidneys, the digestive tract, the pancreas, etc, etc...

But, until these "meters" are available, we are left to only focus on perfecting the execution of daily fundamentals of good health, then, let the chips fall where they may. By treating diabetes, holistically, blood pressure becomes just as important to the treatment of diabetes as blood sugar. Same applies to HDL. Ditto for WBC counts and CRProtein. Ditto for Bilirubin & Blood Urea Nitrogen. Ditto for Electrocardiogram and Lung X-ray. Because, if my lungs, heart, liver and kidneys are not functioning, optimally, blood sugar can be high, all the live-long-day, even if I'm on the "Rabbit Food Diet".

Fruit is healthy. Period.

davedsel2 replied to brunosbud's response:
Bronosbud,

You have an excellent philosophy on health management. I totally agree with your approach and am trying to apply these principals to my own life.

You speak about "culprits". IMHO, the hardest thing to accept is that WE are often the "culprits" and cause or worsen our health problems. Often we know what to do but fail to do it, or do not take the time to research the facts and learn how to manager our health.

Consistently living a healthy lifestyle is the best prescription for anyone.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

glucerna replied to davedsel2's response:
I really like this discussion Dave and brunosbud. It seems that when people are first diagnosed with diabetes, they focus on blood sugar control because that's their primary concern. Then once they understand how various foods affect their blood sugar levels, and become more knowledgeable about diabetes, they start to look at the broader picture of their overall health. I love your last statement: consistently living a healthy lifestyle is the best prescription for anyone. ~Lynn @Glucerna

brunosbud replied to davedsel2's response:
Appreciate the comments, Dave, but...
...I think you underestimate the power of subliminal messaging. Why do you suppose reality stars (gosselins, kardashians, housewives, etc.) all wind up in rehab or in court? Because, "Livin' the Dream" is a House of Cards.
We live "bipolar" existences because we all aspire to work for businesses that actually make money. Unfortunately, any business, today, that makes money has 10 new competitors the following quarter. So, we all come home exhausted from the double shift and snack between "crashes" (on foods with indefinite shelf-lives). And, finally, one partner suggests "Lets have a baby (so we'll have more fun)!!!"

Whenever we've had surgery, the doctor always tell us in the recovery room, "Take all your pills, drink plenty of water, eat bland, healthy food, no smoking, no drinking and get lots and lots of sleep...And, absolutely no work for two weeks!"

Does anyone ever notice it most always works? Well, it works for everything, else, too!

In other words, I don't think we're the "culprit", Dave...

Featuring Experts

Michael Dansinger, MD, is a nationally recognized authority on dietary and lifestyle counseling for weight loss and disease prevention. He is the nutr...More

Helpful Tips

Ideal Blood Sugar
If you have been diagnosed with diabetes-you should talk to your doctor about target blood sugar goals. Here is a general range suggested ... More
Was this Helpful?
119 of 170 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.