Skip to content
diabetes and Cold Meds
An_256747 posted:
I have type 2 diabetes. It was under control but my last A1C was 9.5 vs a target of 7.0. The only thing that has changed is that I had a couple of bad colds and took cold meds (Advil Cold & SInus) and cough medicine (Robitussen). Could either of these have cause sugar levels to rise?

brunosbud responded:
Sure, they (cold meds, ibuprofen) can. But, the question becomes a "chicken and egg" scenario. Did the meds cause your sugar to rise? Or, was high blood sugar the cause for your bad colds? Or, is there additional, ongoing "inflammation" in other places of your body (High Blood Pressure, Gout, IBS, Arthritis, Osteoporosis) that further compromised your immune system and caused the disruption of blood sugar patterns you're normally use to seeing?

Let's not forget that one of the common symptoms of diabetes that people first observe are recurring colds, rashes, yeast and bladder infections...a lot of missed days from work. Was your sugar high because of the infections? Or, did the infections cause you sugars to elevate?

I don't have a definitive answer for you but for what it's worth, I don't expose my body to too many things that have the potential to compromise or defeat my body's natural defences against disease or infection. The list is long and food & drugs (diet) are just two of many.

flutetooter replied to glucerna's response:
Another "ad"?
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.