Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Need advice
Anon_54391 posted:
Ok...please advice. I had to go to the er yesterday with pain in my upper abdomen. I was told the I have gastritis but I already have acid reflux. Well, I rarely have trouble with my sugar. I watch my diet and walk 6 miles a day so that I won't have to take medicine. This morning my sugar was high (321) which it is rarely ever that high and my urine is a dark yellow. It is almost brown. What is going on? Can someone help me? I have never had this problem. Oh, yea, I have type 3 diabetes.

brunosbud responded:
I, too, walk 6 miles, daily, & take no meds, so I'd be less inclined to suggest dehydration since I'm drinking throughout the day. I've had occasional bladder or kidney infections through the years. When infection runs high, blood sugar often rises. Are you running a temperate? Blood in the urine will cause pee to darken. Urinary tract infections, kidney stones, high blood pressure and certain meds/antibiotics can result in hematuria. Since you give so little info, everything's a guess, really...

alliej0225 replied to brunosbud's response:
I take numerous medicines but none that would cause anything like that. And the only infection that was shown was the gastritis and the doctor told me that that was an infection or inflammation in the stomach lining. The only thing he did was to increase my acid relux medicine. I am to be on a bland diet. Which this whole diet thing is making my sugar go wild. I have been tryiing to stay hydrated. I have even left my coke off so that I could keep this is control.

brunosbud replied to alliej0225's response:
Can blood in urine cause it to appear "dark yellow or brown"?
Yes, it can.

Can gastritis cause hematuria ("blood in urine")?
Yes, it can.
http://www.ehealthme.com/cs/gastritis/haematuria

Can gastritis cause blood sugar to rise? Yes, it can.
http://www.ehealthme.com/cs/gastritis/high blood sugar

Can changing from a diet you normally eat to one that you don't normally eat cause blood sugar to spike?
Yes, it can.

alliej0225 replied to brunosbud's response:
I got really good news today. I had to go for my blood work for my diabetes today. My A1C is 5.5. I work really hard to try and keep it under control. I am so happy!!!!!

glucerna replied to alliej0225's response:
That's excellent new alliej0225! ~Lynn @Glucerna

brunosbud replied to alliej0225's response:
That's great news, alliej. Go out and celebrate!

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
72 of 143 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.