Skip to content
Am I diabetic ??
roger100 posted:
This has me confused. I am a white 75 yo male. Supposedly pre diabetic for years . My A1C remains consistently at 5.7, a fasting finger prick runs between 99 & 109 blood sugar; however, when a lab takes blood from my arm, their results are in the 130s blood sugar range. I don't get it...Taking a reading at home appears to be a waste of time. I thought maybe an increase in BS at home would show an increase at the lab...not so.
I am on no meds for diabetes..my Dr. is leaning in that direction.
Sure wish this could be explained & am I really diabetic ?
Thanks,
Roger Kenyon USAF ret.

glucerna responded:
There's always some degree of difference between blood sugar levels taken via glucometer and those from a lab. You might also read this article: http://www.joslin.org/info/plasma_glucose_meters_and_whole_blood_meters.html that talks about how older meters test whole blood, and new meters test plasma to get more comparable results to lab tests. You should be able to contact your glucometer company to find out more information, and also talk with your doctor. ~Lynn @Glucerna

bigred53 replied to glucerna's response:
I'm assuming it's a fasting blood test that you go to a lab or your doctor's office for. I know that by the time I have my blood taken I have already been up at least a couple of hours. The test I have taken at home usually will have been well under 100 but by the time I get the 'official' results it will have gone up at least 40 points even though I have not eaten anything. It's an automatic thing our bodies do. The liver releases glucose to provide the energy we need which causes our blood sugar levels to rise. The A1c is the most important indication of what your average blood sugar levels are.

I hope that helped.

Michelle

arudada responded:
usually there is difference of 10 % in the lab report ond glucometer

rlightning responded:
Well there might be a lot of reasons for that. but it is best if you watch what you eat first. It is good that you are only pre-diabetic. relying on medicine for diabetes is much of a drag. Oh and there's this article that I just read that might help you to see if you are really diabetic now. I'll post it below so you can check it out:

http://tgp.com.ph/blog/common-symptoms-diabetes/

roger100 replied to rlightning's response:
I guess I am very lucky. To date, I have no symptoms. This all came to light during routine Dr. visits. Thanks for the article...I'm going to hold on to it.
take care,
Roger

An_257056 replied to bigred53's response:
Well-grounded information. The MD SHOULD have explained this to Roger100? The noted A1C, if consistent, does not seem to invite medication.

Perhaps you should check with a more communicative physician - for a second opinion BEFORE adding additional medication to your routine (consider an endocrinologist at least once) - at 75 the chances are painfully good that you take a variety of medications, adding another (or several) introduces multiple interactions, and should only be considered if the trade-off favors YOU (specifically - not as a general, convenient approach.)

loinc responded:
Blood sugar is not static, rather if you were to look at your blood sugar on a graph, it would appear more like a wavy line. When someone checks their blood glucose on a meter they are essentially picking a single point in time on that line... getting a number. However, one does not know where they hit on that line. Therefore, the A1c test does give a broader overall picture of one's blood glucose over the previous 2 - 3 month time frame. There is another picture that is also used called the glucomark which looks over the previous 2 weeks that may give a picture of one's glucose levels.

roger100 replied to loinc's response:
I have always been under the impression that the A1C was the holy grail of diabetes tests.
This afternoon , I had a routine blood workup done for my leukemia. I checked my BS just before leaving the house (2 hrs after eating) & it was 112. Now I'm anxious to see what the labs results are.
I guess for 75, I really don't take that many meds...1 pill in the am for BP & 2 zantacs (1 am & 1 pm) for gerd (heartburn) nothing for the leukemia.

lee_van responded:
Stress can also cause elevated b.s. . When I go to the doctor it is not unusual for mine to go up, because, although I have had a plethora of blood draws and very few (less than 1%) noticeable blood draws, I still knot up and feel like passing out every time it is done. I still cannot look at the needle before, during or after the draw. And to see the vial of blood is not a good thing. All of this causes B.S. to go up significantly. So that might be your reason for the differences in the reading.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.