Skip to content
Am I diabetic ??
roger100 posted:
Lynn/Michelle...Thanks for your replies. . Here is another twist to puzzle. My wife & I use the same meter, go to the same Dr. & get our blood taken at the same lab at the same time. Her finger prick & lab results are usually very close to the same ...my results usually have a 25 plus differential. We both fast a minimum of 10 hrs. prior to a test. The manufacturer of my meter doesn't have a good answer, neither does my Dr. I have always been under the impression that the A1C was the deciding factor. I really don't want to take anymore meds then I have to.
Roger
FirstPrevious12NextLast

bigred53 responded:
Roger we're all different. I'm of the opinion that diabetes is bipolar. I really think it's like I said earlier because that's what happens to me too. I also think that as long as you maintain an A1c of 5.7 you shouldn't need medication. Have you asked your doctor why he/she thinks you need diabetes meds?

I almost always test before I get out of bed in the morning and I can't remember the last time I was over 100. I take two meds - 1000 mg of Metformin twice a day and 5mg Glyburide twice a day. I've been slowly but steadily losing weight and quite often, depending on what my blood sugar is before I go to bed I'll only take half a dose of the Glyburide otherwise I'm way too low in the morning. Sometimes I'm still pretty low - like 50's and 60's. It's quite the balancing act sometimes.

In my opinion you're doing very well but then I'm not a doctor. A lot of doctors are not diabetes experts so you have to do your own research and decide what's best for you. I'm lucky in that my doctor listens to me because he knows I do my research and then we discuss any changes I want to make.

Keep up the good work Roger. I think you're doing great!

Michelle

roger100 replied to bigred53's response:
Thanks again "BigRed" I wish I felt like I was doing great. My Dr. is very knowledgeable & a "people person", he is also well respected in this community. At every appt., I am read the riot act..."get more exercise" (I am an active person) "watch your diet" (I love italian food). I am 5'8" & 160 lbs...I think that's within reason. If he writes me a prescription at my next appt, it's going to be an awkward situation.
I want to thank you all for sharing your knowledge & opinions.
Take care,
Roger

glucerna replied to roger100's response:
Roger, the difference in your blood sugar results and your wife's is definitely confusing. Perhaps you're washing your hands differently than she does? That's the only other variable I can think of. Have you detailed for your doctor exactly what you do for exercise? If you're meeting the guidelines of 30-60 minutes of moderately intense exercise per day, and can document that, then that will show him you are following through with exercise. You could do the same with food choices: keep a food diary and show him exactly what and how much you eat for a week. Taking the time to do all of this also shows how serious you are about taking care of your health. ~Lynn @Glucerna

bigred53 replied to glucerna's response:
Lynn why would their tests be the same? They are different people. He's male and she's female. There are weight differences and hormonal differences. You and I could be exactly the same weight, height and age, eat exactly the same thing at the same time and even exercise together, take the same meds at the same time every day and our blood sugar levels would still be different. Diabetes is different for everyone!

Roger I love Italian food too. Who doesn't? It doesn't have to include pasta. Olive Garden has some wonderful entrees that are 600 calories and under. Eat the salad and only one breadstick then take half of the entree home for lunch the next day. I did that the other evening. They even have to new sugar free, non alcoholic pomegranate drink that is fantastic. If you feel that you need dessert they have those little shot glass size ones. For me Italian food is about the seasoning not pasta.

I need to be much more active. I admire you for that. It's looks like you and your doctor are going to have to fight this out. If it were me I would want to know why he wants you to take meds. What does he want your A1c to be? We all have to be advocates for our own health and treatments.

Michelle

brunosbud responded:
The A1C supposedly represents a 3 month average ("theoretical" avg life span of Red Blood Cells) of blood sugar.

I control with diet, exercise and plenty of rest, only. My last A1C was 5.2. Does this mean I'm not diabetic? Of course not!

Blood Sugar calculator (http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/A1ccalc2.php) says my average blood sugar over the last 3 months is: 103

What that could mean is that half the time my blood sugar is 150 and the other half 50. What that means is, sometimes, my blood sugar can be as high as 200. The A1C is just an average.

A "fasting" blood glucose result is...
(1.) Just a single reading, and
(2.) Taken after a 12 hr fast.

How often did you, normally, fast for 12hrs?

Some RBCs can last in excess of 4 mos, some far less than 90 days. Could that affect the accuracy of A1C? Of course, it can!

In summary, don't sweat the details. Follow your "trends" and understand the limits of your own body. If you can't do that, than you have little recourse but to entrust your life in someone elses "hands". We all have options.

glucerna replied to brunosbud's response:
Michelle, sorry for the confusion. I was responding to Roger's post about the the difference in results he gets from the glucometer vs the lab blood draw, and that his wife - using the same glucometer - has a much smaller difference in results. I didn't mean that their blood sugar results are the same, and you're absolutely right about individual differences. ~Lynn @Glucerna

roger100 replied to glucerna's response:
I have not heard of anyone having such a huge differential between lab & finger prick results. Now when I take my blood sugar, I wonder if my 100 reading is really 130 at the lab. Sure makes my readings at home meaningless. My Dr. is discounting my readings completely. I posted this thread, to see if I was the only one experiencing this...sure looks that way.
Roger

bigred53 replied to roger100's response:
Roger you are not the only one. That's what happens to me. I believe I told you that already. My fasting at home is almost always under 100, usually in the 70's and sometimes in the 50's and 60's. When I get the results of my fasting lab work it shows a level of close to 140 (usually). I have not eaten anything and only had some water. I don't even take my meds before the blood draw.

Next time take your meter to the blood draw and test while they are taking your blood. Write it down somewhere. It should be within a few points.

Michelle

auriga1 replied to brunosbud's response:
Ah, so true, Bruno. I think most of us are "obsessed" with the a.m. fasting number. I used to be. During a 24-hour period, the blood sugar reading can vary from higher than normal to lower than normal. Food and physical activity can affect readings dramatically, but from what I see here, many are only concerned with the a.m. reading.

How many people test throughout the day? My doctors believe that the 2-hour post prandial is just as important as any fasting number.

Since I am an insulin user, I have had to let my blood sugar run higher in the morning before work. I will eat and not take my rapid-acting insulin. Otherwise, my BS will drop to 40 or 50. It bothered me to have a reading in the 150's, but after work, it is in the 80's.. When I bike ride, I have to eat to get my BS up to 170. After the bike ride, I am at 73 most of the time. Yet, my last A1C was 5.6. An average, of course.

auriga1 responded:
Roger, it would be a great idea if you can keep a food journal, daily, for about a week. Include in this journal your blood sugar readings before you eat and two hours after you eat. It can be very important in determining if you are diabetic. (Is that the question you are posing?)

A non-diabetic's average blood sugar reading would be 85 at any given time of day except for right after a carb-loaded meal. Their blood sugar reading would be right back into the 80's two hours later after said meal. Their body is using the carbs properly.

roger100 replied to auriga1's response:
WOW ! I never dreamed there was so much to this...I assumed that all you have to do is "count carbs", exercise & the rest will come automatically. Looks like I have a learning experience ahead of me.
Roger

I would love to be able to test more often but my prescription for test strips is only for two a day. So I take a fasting and then test before I go to bed - about two hours after dinner. Occasionally I'll test at other times.

Roger's concern was the difference between his meter reading and the fasting blood test at the lab. Mine has always been very different.

My 90 day average (from my meter)is 103 but I doubt my A1c will be 5.2 like Bruno's. I know it will be a bit better than my last one of 5.9.

Roger you really don't have to go without foods that you love. Moderation is the key.

Go back and read as many past posts as your eyes can stand. Come back here whenever you have questions. There are a lot of very smart and knowledgeable fellow diabetics here who are willing to share and help. The reason I jumped in is because the same thing happens to me with my labs. I pretty much know what works for me but as I keep saying we're all different. I'm not perfect but I keep trying to get better control.

I hope we've been able to answer some of your questions.

Michelle

roger100 replied to bigred53's response:
Ya'll have been great ! I know in time, that I will get a handle on this thing.
I didn't mention this before on purpose, but I also have leukemia from exposure to "agent orange" while serving in VietNam. I had chemo treatments 3 years ago & doing great now. That may be effecting my BS
Take care,

Roger USAF ret.

Roger, thank you for your service. I am sorry you are going through the chemo and all that entails.

How long has it been since you were diagnosed with diabetes? It's been just over eight years for me and believe me I've had my ups and downs with times of pigging out and not caring. The highest my A1c has been since diagnosis was 7.0.

There are so many things that can affect your sugar levels. Stress, minor illnesses like colds and even some medications. You'll learn to adapt to different situations.

Has your doctor recommended diabetes classes? I would ask to be sent to some.

Keep coming back. We're here to help if we can.

Michelle

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
74 of 145 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.