Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Food Revolution Summit (audio broadcasts) is underway...
nutrijoy posted:
The 2014 Food Revolution Summit (audio broadcasts) is currently underway and may be of interest to many of you as dietary factors are an essential component of good blood sugar control. The Summit runs from April 27th through May 4th. Three interviews are featured each day and each broadcast runs approximately 35 to 46 minutes in duration (sans the 2-3 minutes of generic promotional hype at the end of each session).

The Summit is free but access to the broadcasts (i.e., for free) is only available for 24 hours following their initial respective air times/dates. The exception to the rule is the opening day's broadcasts that aired yesterday (April 27th). The latter are available as free replays until the Summit ends at the close of May 4th. Although registration may be required (name and email address), many folks have been able to access the summit by simply going to the broadcast site at http://foodrevolutionsummit.org/broadcasts/ .

Those of you who believe in the tenet that the development of diabetes complications are optional and can be 100% prevented through lifestyle changes (diet, activity and medication, if required) may find some of these topics to be insightful. In contrast, those who subscribe to "conventional wisdom" that diabetes is a "naturally progressive disease" may not want to invest time in listening to speakers who may challenge their beliefs. Please note that the Summit is NOT diabetes-specific but if you have learned how to absorb and adapt information to your own individual situation, you may find the information to be useful.

A PDF copy of the Food Summit Schedule (lists all speakers and topics) can be downloaded at this link . Then go to the broadcast site linked above.

mrscora01 responded:
I think it's grossly unfair to blame people for their diabetes complications. Just like diabetes, there is a strong genetic component to complications. Some people take excellent care and have issues, and others never test, run high, and live long and prosper.

The "blame game" is a nasty one to play.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

nutrijoy replied to mrscora01's response:
I agree with you that the blame game can be a fruitless and nasty avenue to pursue and I have not made that assumption or accusation in my post. Genetics can indeed be a factor in diabetes but the expression of those genes can often be prevented via dietary and other lifestyle changes. This has been the focus of many notable physicians and some of the speakers in the Summit reinforce this fact. The normalization of blood sugars has been instrumental in preventing complications and, although it is a very simple task, it is not an easy one to achieve (emphasis on the difference between "simple" and "not easy").

Physical impairments can play a significant role and many forum members have commented that they do not function or feel well when BG levels fall into the normal (80s) range. However, it is an indisputable fact that accelerated glycation damage usually occurs when BG levels rise above 110 mg/dL and beta cell die-off increases above 140. However, like smoking, the damage may not manifest itself equally for everyone concerned. Not all smokers will get lung cancer and not all diabetics will develop complications. But the odds do increase exponentially over time and with age. 75% of us will die of a cardiac-related event due to this damage but the ADA has proudly proclaimed that it only shows that modern treatments are an improvement (because diabetic cardiac-related deaths were 80% just a couple of years ago_. This Science Daily article (2011) serves as a stark reminder that things aren't quite as rosy as we are often misled to believe.

brunosbud replied to nutrijoy's response:
"When you blame others, you lose the power to change." Dr. Robert Anthony

...and, that is precisely why, "Homie" don't play that game.

[br>

betatoo replied to nutrijoy's response:
Interestingly enough, there is quite a bit of documentation that shows that in the 1800's(pre-insluin) diabetes for T2 was pretty much controlled by diet and exercise. Diabetics who were T2 and controlled were usually quite thin, but then they did not have access to the foods we have today. After insulin was invented dr's put everyone on it, it was the godsend. Yet as this happened, T2 started to think they could eat anything, and we know where that led.

nutrijoy replied to betatoo's response:
Couldn't agree with you more. Don't know if you have been listening to any of the broadcasts but today's focus is on the theme, Science of Healthy Eating. Today's lineup of interviews/speakers are Neal Barnard (MD) -Power Foods That Help you Thrive, Brenda Davis (RD) -Cutting Edge Nutrition, and T. Colin Campbell (PhD ); best known for his book, "The China Study". Please note that these broadcasts are not specific for nor targeted at diabetes per se. The focus is more generalized for a healthy lifestyle; primarily plant-based and may not appeal to those who prefer to consume animal products.

As an omnivore myself, but very selective when it comes to consuming animal flesh (my preference is for seafood and eggs but not limited to same), I found all of the talks to have some value whether I agreed with the speaker or not. It is my own belief that the meteoric rise in diseases (many of them unknown sixty or seventy years ago) are not due to the consumption of Western FOOD (i.e., diet) but due more to the consumption of Western NON-Foods. These include mostly man-made tamperings such as pesticides, chemical additives, preservatives, artificial food colorings (nearly 10,000 non-food additives are listed in our government' databases that are permitted in the food supply), trans-fats, nutrient-depleted produce, hormones, antibiotics, plastics leaching into food, GMOs, and dozens, perhaps hundreds of other man-made "improvements" to the food supply.

Helpful Tips

Getting blood sugar under control using insulin
I normally like Dr. Gabe Mirkin 's advice and newsletters. But in one of his most recent newsletter articles, he commits the same medical ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.