Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Nitric oxide impact on a1c
stevewwp posted:
I am trying out a body building supplement called NO2 Explode Extreme. It 's giving me a boost in strength and recovery after exercise. What is the likely impact of this product on a1c? I am aT2D on oral medications for over 10 years. My last a1c was 7.9.

mrscora01 responded:
The impact could be many things, in part depending on the ingredients. I saw that one of them is caffeine and that can raise blood sugar. I would be more concerned with the a1c (which translates to an average bg of 180 - meaning you are higher a lot of the time) than with building more muscle. You are in prime territory for complications and all the muscle mass in the world will not save your kidneys. I would definitely talk to the doc about modifying your regime - be that diet or meds (you are obviously exercising).

Best of luck.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

stevewwp replied to mrscora01's response:
Thanks for the prompt response and kind wishes. I am hoping that the increased muscle mass may help with glucose burning and higher metabolic rate to reduce fat. I have no symptoms whatsoever , and my kidneys and eyes are problem-free, so I am not too worried to experiment a little. One great side effect is that I am having more frequent hardons during sleep, and that is itself almost sufficient to justify trying out NO2.

mrscora01 replied to stevewwp's response:
I hate to be such a downer steve, but the development of complications due to high blood sugar (which you have) does not come with symptoms. Until you have problems. As it stands, your muscles are not helping to burn off enough glucose. The "cut off" for a safe a1c has been determined to be 7%. And you are over that. It is possible that with some changes (as I said, meds or diet), you could get things under better control to be safer. Then work more on the muscles and back off on the meds.

Just my opinion. I would hate to see someone have to go through what I have been through.

Cora
T1 1966, Dialysis 2001, kidney transplant and pump 2002, pancreas transplant 2008

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
73 of 144 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.