Skip to content
Agave nectar vs stevia
stevewwp posted:
Which is better for T2 diabetics - agave or stevia? I am avoiding sugar and artificial sweeteners.

glucerna responded:
There isn't a simple answer to your question. Stevia is made from a plant and processed to look and taste like sugar. It contains <5 calories per packet, which according to labeling guidelines means it can state 'zero calories' on the label. One packet of Truvia contains 3 grams carbohydrate; 1 teaspoon sugar contains 16 grams carbohydrate.

Agave comes from the agave plant. Agave is 1.5 times sweeter than sugar, but still contains some calories and carbohydrate. Pay attention to the amount you use and read the label to know exactly what you're getting..

The key for people with diabetes is to use the least amount possible of any sweetener and monitor your blood sugar levels to find out how it affects you. Sometimes learning to enjoy the natural taste of foods and beverages without any type of added sweetener is the best policy. ~Lynn @Glucerna

nutrijoy responded:
Both Agave and Stevia are extracted from plants but Agave is not much better than common table sugar in terms of the impact it will have on your blood sugar levels. It is also highly processed so many folks are misled by the fact that it is "natural" (but so is sucrose/table sugar which is usually extracted from sugar cane or sugar beets, both of which are "natural" plants). Read this WebMD article entitled "The Truth About Agave " for greater insight as to why it would be a very poor choice for most diabetics. Stevia, in contrast, is 300 times sweeter than sugar with zero calories/carbs. Stevia also has zero impact on blood sugars in its pure form. Not everyone will like the taste, however, so try a smaller package before purchasing a large quantity. I do NOT, however, recommend Truvia as it is not a pure stevia product. You only need a very small amount of pure stevia to impart a sweet taste to many dishes and beverages. To offset the difficulty of measuring out such small amounts, the Truvia brand uses a filler/cutting agent to provide more bulk. However, the filler that Truvia uses is dextrose (glucose) which will not only add calories but will also raise blood glucose levels. You can obtain more information on stevia from www.stevia.com . The product that I personally use is manufactured by Now Foods and is available from many health food retailers and online vendors including Amazon.com (I prefer the liquid form ).

betatoo replied to nutrijoy's response:
Right on Nutrtijoy. ONe of the reasons I cut out all added sweeteners. It is impossible to go without sweets, but healthy choice works best. For me it is either stevia, as in some sodas, or small amounts of sugar. I stay away from the artificial, and the sugar replacements like agave nectar. However, I do chew gum, and use those that contain sugar alcohols.

Helpful Tips

Newly Diagnosed Diabetes?
It can be overwhelming to be diagnosed with diabetes. You may not know what steps to take and your doctor may have written a script and ... More
Was this Helpful?
40 of 51 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.