Skip to content
carbohydrates
An_255764 posted:
Let's assume a certain person eats usually for breakfast two servings of bread, one serving of milk and one serving of fruit which adds up to about 60 grams carbs. If instead of the above he eates four serving of bread he will still have 60 grams carbs.I know this is not recommended because he will miss minerals and vitamins which he could get from milk and fruits but will it affect also his blood sugar?
If it does is it because of glycemic load? I would be obliged if someone can clarify this to me.

davedsel2 responded:
Why are you not having protein with your meal? As far as I understand and have experienced, protein is both an essential nutrient and helps many people control blood glucose levels.

You would need to calculate and compare the glycemic load of both meals. The one with the higher glycemic load would probably cause a rise in blood glucose readings.

Every person is an individual and responds uniquely to foods. There is no such thing as a "one size fits all" eating plan and "your mileage will vary". This would require a trial and error period to see how these meals affect you.
Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave

glucerna replied to davedsel2's response:
You ask an interesting question. In the simplest theory, as long as you consume the same amount of carbohydrate, your blood sugar level should be similar. However, there are several variables, including fiber and protein content of the meal as well as glycemic load. The glycemic index of bread and cereal can vary quite a bit, so the exact food that you eat can also make a difference. As Dave says, use your glucometer to figure out how different meals affect you. ~Lynn @Glucerna

betatoo responded:
I think the answer to your question lies in the carbs vs starches answer. White breads, pastas, potatoes etc are considered to be starches. They are concentrated carbohydrates. If you consume 60 grams at a sitting in the starch category you will get a glucose spike. You can lower this by eating starches that are whole grain-whole grain bread, pasta etc. or you cut back on the carbs and get carbs from veggies and fruit. These metabolize even slower than the whole grains, and have a lot more nutrients. At the same time as Dave says, cutting out protein is not good as protein slows absorption of carbs. Balance out your meal with nutrients from all of the food groups. At the same time, I try to get my higher carb load in the morning and noon meals when I have a tendency to be more active, and just go for a lean protein and salad at night.

nutrijoy responded:
An_, I'll try to provide you with a more direct response to your question instead of commenting on what the "certain person" in your post "should or should not be" eating. In general, bread, whether whole grain or otherwise, will be more rapidly metabolized than the carbs in milk and fruit. The milk contains lactose but also some fat and protein. The fruit contains fiber and the sugar is primarily fructose which is metabolized in the liver. This will delay the conversion/absorption of glucose into the blood stream. In the case of fructose, it may never even reach that far. Depending on other foods consumed with the fruit, the liver may convert the fructose to fat instead (for storage instead of immediate use).

The bottom line? The mixed food meal will likely spike your blood sugar levels less than the all bread meal. The latter will not only spike your BG level faster but the effect may also last longer. That's due to the fact that diabetics have an impaired metabolism and the beta cells will require more time to secrete enough insulin to handle the sudden increase in BG in the system. At the end of the day, your BG levels may end up the same after the meals are fully metabolized. However, the potential for glycation damage is much greater with the all bread meal because the elevation in BG is both faster and greater than the combo meal. When the impaired beta cells finally secrete enough insulin to "catch up," the ending level might be the same. However, the interim damaging effects between the two meals can be quite different. This can vary widely from one person to another so YMMV.

fekak replied to davedsel2's response:
thank you davedsel2 for answering my question on carbohydrates.

fekak replied to glucerna's response:
Thank you glucerna for answering my question on carbohydrates

fekak replied to betatoo's response:
Thank you betatoo for answering my question on carbohydrates

fekak replied to nutrijoy's response:
Thank you nutrijoy for answering my question on carbohydrates.

Helpful Tips

A Diabetes Reversal StoryExpert
Many people understand that they can probably improve their diabetes by eating right and exercising, but figuring out how to make it ... More
Was this Helpful?
76 of 147 found this helpful

Expert Blog

Conquering Diabetes - Michael Dansinger, MD

Dr. Michael Dansinger provides thoughtful tips for those with type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes who want to reclaim their health...Read More

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.